#1: Equal Human Rights.
This closed minded way that society views love really needs to stop. It's unconstitutional to limit any lawful U.S. Citizens rights, so why do people think it's okay to prohibit homosexuals from the same rights they enjoy? A minority right should not be subject to a majority vote. It's this simple: If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry a gay person. Enough said. I am boycotting marriage.#2: Comprehensive Sex Education.
Yes, I agree; it is the parents job to teach their children about this stuff, but too many of them don't and their poor children get STDs or get pregnant at 15. If all we do is tell children "don't do it" they're liable to be rebellious (teenage rebellion? No way, that's a myth! /sarcasm) and go do it anyway. It's dumb, but teenagers can be pretty dumb. (We were all teenagers once! I had 4 friends get pregnant in High School.) Let's teach them what to do if they mess up.
#3: Universal Health Care.
I cannot say this enough. "I WANT HEALTH CARE." I don't have insurance because I can't afford it. I am one of the 46 million American's without health insurance. That's a HUGE number people. I'm not saying it's perfect how it is, but something needs to be done.#4: Proper Grammar.
People really write like this. I cannot count the number of emails I've received like this. What's worse, most of those emails have been on dating sites! If I open an email and see grammar such as this, I don't even bother to respond. It get's promptly closed, and never looked at again.
My best friend in the whole wide world is a teacher, and it astounds me the stuff he goes through. He makes less than I do, and he has degrees and many years of schooling. Also, they changed the law on him this year and screwed him out of insurance. No wonder we don't have enough people going into this profession anymore. Teachers are shaping our future, we're trusting our child's minds to these people, and not giving a damn about them. It horrifies me.
Let's make change people!
What lights your fire?
***
This post brought to you by:
This weeks prompts:
1.) Write a letter to yourself from someone who has passed on. (ie: parent, grandparent, famous person, friend, pet, etc)Join in the fun, and choose a prompt that inspires you. Then link up so we can read them!
2.) Create and share a Whrrl story.
3.) Write a Haiku that describes what you love about an ordinary day.
4.) What lights your fire? Describe five things you are most passionate about.
5.) Share some photos and stories as well as what you love about spring.
I agree with everything here! I just heard some stats on how the recent years' push in schools to go with abstinence has resulted in a greater than ever number of teenage pregnancies. Now they're changing the message. Duh!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm not saying abstinence shouldn't be mentioned but not alone! Sex is going to happen with today's youth. It's a whole different game out there now and we HAVE to adapt to it and prepare them.
GREAT POST!
Educators are seriously underpaid. You would think that the government would give more consideration to those who are educating our next generation. And how well will that generation do in a class filled with 40+ kids taught by a disgruntled, tired, overworked, stressed out, underpaid educator?
ReplyDeleteGrammar is a big one for me as well - spelling too! And I totally agree that teachers are not paid enough for what they do. My mom has taught preschool for 16 years and should be making way more money than she is right now!
ReplyDeleteStoppin by from Mama Kats!
Dude - improper grammar makes me crazy! CRAZY, I say!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree! :D
ReplyDeleteESPECIALLY improper grammar... it's such a turn off :p
I agree with everything except the Universal Health Care. That's not to say I don't think something should be done. I most definitely do. I'm just not sure universal health care is the answer. Getting the costs down? For sure!
ReplyDeleteI teach English Composition, so you can guess how I feel about improper grammar. You can also imagine the emails I get from students!
Yes!!! OK, I am so excited, I agree with absolutely everything said here!
ReplyDeleteComprehensive sex education is a no brainer to me. It doesn't mean you encourage sex. My sex education was very limited, but they basically said, "Here are all the things that can go wrong if you have sex before you're ready (STDs in detail, pregnancy, etc.). If you do have sex, some kinds of birth control will REDUCE the chance that some of these bad things happen. But they still can happen. The only way to be sure they don't is abstinence" Amazing, they educated us without telling us to have sex! And I didn't until I was married. Of course, like I said, this was only in Jr. High, had none in HS when details would have come out...so it wasn't until college I learned 1) a penis is bigger than a tampon (what? A tampon goes in and blocks everything, that's as big as the accommodations are! Makes sense!) and 2) sex involves movement. I wish I was kidding.
The view of educators is shameful. In HS I studied in Japan where being a teacher/principal is one of the highest paying and respected jobs out there. And we wonder why their students are beating ours?
And universal health care just needs to happen. Period. There is no excuse for how things are now.
OK, I could go on, but that's long enough. I would totally follow you, but I see no way to add you to google reader :-(
Hiya, thanks for visiting back!
ReplyDeleteNope, no google friend connect, just google reader. I don't use blogspot so google friend connect is not convenient.
Somewhere there should be an option to set up a "follow me" widget, which would allow for RSS following. RSS lets people follow you in different readers, not just through blogger. So if you would like to cater directly to me, that'd be awesome :P But if not I'd understand!
Also, I love seeing someone else use the term "fiery passion!"
I agree with you 100% on points 1, 2 and 4 because this is a problem in my country too.
ReplyDeleteThe first one is a universal problem. Things are changing though, at least I think they are.
Point 2- People knowing and not doing their part makes me sick to the gut. I don't understand if you know something that someone else can benefit with then why not tell it to them! Tell them what it is, what are its effects and consequences. Being brave for 5 minutes to define and explain sex is better than remaining shy for life!
And point 4 - I am literally going to shoot someone someday. I hate this sort of language. We call it the SMS lingo. Even while writing a professional e-mail people write like this and feel sick and angry!