4.22.2010

Mad Birthday Cake Decorating Skills

So this year I decided to make my own cake.

This would be the first time doing cake from scratch, and the first time attempting to decorate it using both buttercream frosting and fondant. I'll admit, it wasn't without trouble.  

First, it was supposed to be a two tier cake, but the top failed before it even made it out of the pan.

Then, I didn't have enough red food coloring to do red velvet cake.

So I quickly switched to a one tier chocolate cake.

 
 
The basis for this was the Marshmallow Fondant recipe I found on a blog, and I wanted to try it very much! 


Marshmallow Fondant Recipe
(via thepolhamusfamily.com)

I'm not usually a fan of fondant, however this recipe struck me as a little different as it's made with mostly marshmallows.  In fact, it tastes so much better than any fondant I've ever had!  It was so very good!  I will admit, working with fondant is a bitch, as it tends to stick to everything and have a hard time spreading, but it was worth it.  My cake turned out so beautifully!

I even added some food coloring, made polka-dots and stuck them on using a little water on a paint brush.  It was adorable!


(Via allrecipes.com)

This recipe was great because it wasn't too sweet, and it was thick and moist.  I loved it!



(Via Wilton.com)

So easy to make.  I just frosted the cake with the buttercream, stuck it in the freezer for a while, and then put the fondant over the top!  It was so rich and yummy!

What do you think of the my first attempt at cake decorating?



16 comments:

  1. Wow. That is very impressive. You did a great job. It looks so professional. I bet it tasted as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ive never seen such a nice looking cake made by a nonprofessional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally cute cake!

    I also wanted to you know that I left you something on my blog. I hope you like it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I'm so hungry right now and that looks DELICIOUS!! You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, you have every right to be proud of that cake! Job well done!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was SO cute!! I can't believe you did it all. Not that I doubt your amazingness, but I know what fondant is like and it is SUCH a pain!! Too bad I didn't get to taste it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Impressive!! I am no baker (or cook for that matter) so this is something I look at in awe. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can make my cake anytime!!! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome cake! It looks absolutely delicious!

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok, if that's your FIRST attempt of cake decorating than - WOW - you might have just discovered some hidden talent. because really that looks SO professional! It also reminds me of "Alice in Wonderland" a bit. And of...Easter, haha. I don't know why, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. well done! I'm so scared to bake, I'm always worried it'll burn or I'll screw up when I'm mixing the ingredients together. I like how you decorated it, it's very creative and it looks so cute, you don't want to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks simply so "cute"! Yes, that's what it looks. Sweet, cute and indeed beautiful. :-) The message is that anything done sincerely has a beautiful results.

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.