What is Musical Mondays?
Musical Mondays is a weekly linky party where we share a song we're into for the week, and talk about why we like it-or why it effects us. Along with talking about music, I host a month-long music related giveaway sponsored by wonderful people! September is sponsored by me! Read on to see details!
This week's song:
Same Love
by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
When I was in the third grade I thought that I was gay
'Cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room straight
I told my mom, tears rushin' down my face
She's like "Ben you've liked girls since before pre-k"
Tipping, Yeah, I guess she had a point didn't she?
A bunch of stereotypes all in my head
I remember doing the math, Like yea, I'm good at little league
A pre-conceived idea of what it all meant
For those that liked the same sex, had the characterisics
The right-wing conservatives think it's a decision
And you can be cured with some treatment and religion
Man-made re-wiring of a predisposition, playing God
Ah nah, here we go, America the brave still fears what we don't know
That God loves all his children is somehow forgotten
But we paraphrase a book written 3500 years ago
[Chorus]
And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
My love, my love, my love
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
If I was gay I would think Hip Hop hates me
Have you read the YouTube comments lately?
"Man, that's gay" gets dropped on the daily
We've become so numb to what we're saying
A culture founded from oppression
Yeah, we don't have acceptance for 'em
Call each other "faggots" behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate yet our genre still ignores it
And gay is synonymous with the lesser
It's the same hate that's caused wars from Religion
Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment
The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins
It's human rights for everybody there is no difference
So live on, and be yourself
When I was at church they taught me something else
If you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed
That holy water that you soaked in has been poisoned
When everyone else is more comfortable remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans that have had their rights stolen
I might not be the same, but that's not important
No freedom til we're equal
Damn right, I support it
[Chorus]
We press play, don't press pause
Progress march on with the bill of rights
We turn our back on the cause
Until the day that my uncles can be united by law
And kids aren't walking around the hallway plagued by pain in their heart
Or a world so hateful someone would rather die than be who they are
And a certificate on paper isn't gonna solve it all
But it's a damn good place to start
No law is gonna change us, we have to change us
Whatever God you believe in, we come from the same one
Strip away the fear, underneath it's all about the same love
[Chorus]
Love is patient, love is kind
Love is patient, love is kind
Not crying on Sundays
Not Crying on Sundays
I'm not Crying on Sundays
[repeat x3]

This week's song:
Same Love
by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
When I was in the third grade I thought that I was gay
'Cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room straight
I told my mom, tears rushin' down my face
She's like "Ben you've liked girls since before pre-k"
Tipping, Yeah, I guess she had a point didn't she?
A bunch of stereotypes all in my head
I remember doing the math, Like yea, I'm good at little league
A pre-conceived idea of what it all meant
For those that liked the same sex, had the characterisics
The right-wing conservatives think it's a decision
And you can be cured with some treatment and religion
Man-made re-wiring of a predisposition, playing God
Ah nah, here we go, America the brave still fears what we don't know
That God loves all his children is somehow forgotten
But we paraphrase a book written 3500 years ago
[Chorus]
And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
My love, my love, my love
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
If I was gay I would think Hip Hop hates me
Have you read the YouTube comments lately?
"Man, that's gay" gets dropped on the daily
We've become so numb to what we're saying
A culture founded from oppression
Yeah, we don't have acceptance for 'em
Call each other "faggots" behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate yet our genre still ignores it
And gay is synonymous with the lesser
It's the same hate that's caused wars from Religion
Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment
The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins
It's human rights for everybody there is no difference
So live on, and be yourself
When I was at church they taught me something else
If you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed
That holy water that you soaked in has been poisoned
When everyone else is more comfortable remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans that have had their rights stolen
I might not be the same, but that's not important
No freedom til we're equal
Damn right, I support it
[Chorus]
We press play, don't press pause
Progress march on with the bill of rights
We turn our back on the cause
Until the day that my uncles can be united by law
And kids aren't walking around the hallway plagued by pain in their heart
Or a world so hateful someone would rather die than be who they are
And a certificate on paper isn't gonna solve it all
But it's a damn good place to start
No law is gonna change us, we have to change us
Whatever God you believe in, we come from the same one
Strip away the fear, underneath it's all about the same love
[Chorus]
Love is patient, love is kind
Love is patient, love is kind
Not crying on Sundays
Not Crying on Sundays
I'm not Crying on Sundays
[repeat x3]
Not only is this song completely and utterly fantastic and full of love, but the video is wonderfully directed with beautiful filming. I don't care what you believe in, or which god you pray to, but I completely agree with this song that it's all about love. At the heart of almost every religion is Love. If you strip away all the politics, and other things, you're left with love. Love love love.
I didn't post this to start a debate. You all know where I stand on this issue. I am all about love. We can disagree, but I still love you-just as I love my friends and family that are gay, and just as I love those who aren't. If you leave a negative/nasty comment on this post It'll be deleted-so just walk away if you disagree. I. Still. Love. You. ♥
On another note, I am so totally and completely in love with Macklemore, it's not even funny. LOVE.
On another note, I am so totally and completely in love with Macklemore, it's not even funny. LOVE.
Link up your Musical Monday choice this week!
It can be anything, but if you link up your post MUST contain the button or a link back!
Now for the Giveaway
I'm giving one lucky winner an MP3 copy of MC Souleye's new album, Iron Horse Running. To read a little more about this album and MC Souleye please see this Musical Monday post from 9/2/13. The CD will be sent through Amazon MP3, is open Worldwide, and ends on October 1st, 2013.
Lately I really like Lana del Rey
ReplyDeleteI recently got her album, but haven't listened to it yet! People keep suggesting it though, so I need to!
DeleteDaniel LOVES Macklemore. He gets the Thrift Shop song stuck in my head at least once a week.
ReplyDeleteI've heard the above song before and thought it made great points. Love is the core.
It's such a great song! Macklemore is just poetic and spiritual in most of his songs! They all have a good meaning to them!
Deletejust saw this link up by chance and i JUST posted about lorde this a.m. i saw you posted about her too :)
ReplyDeleteVictoria @ Lost in Boston
I totally just commented on your post about it! Such a great song!
DeleteLOVE those boys! :D
ReplyDeleteGreat choice.
They're so amazing!
DeleteMacklemore & Ryan Lewis's music is fresh and original. I like it. What am I into lately? 90's alternative. Sirius Radio and Pandora have been bringing me back to the music I listened to during middle school and high school!
ReplyDeleteIt's so great! And you're right! I love that my little brother (who listens to rap has a positive role model!
DeleteThe video for "Same Love" makes me cry! I'm a middle school teacher and have seen firsthand the horrible bullying that gay and transgender students experience. I just want them to be able to be happy, productive adults with the same rights as everyone else!
ReplyDeleteMe too, I bawl just listening to it! He's such an amazing role model! You're so sweet, and I think what you do and hope for is amazing!
Deletethis is one of my most fav songs on the radio right now so beautiful and such a wonderful message
ReplyDeletei *love* this song. i remember first hearing it this summer at camp... it blew me away!! xxo
ReplyDelete