A letter to someone who is deceased.
Small and green, just the perfect size for a kid. One of the very cups we would have used when we came up the stairs from our basement apartment to get a drink of water from grandma's fridge. I couldn't help but raise it to my face to smell it, because it still smelled like that old familiar plastic and your dish soap.
I dreamt about that house the other day, the one we shared that was build by your own hands. In my dream Mom and Dad bought it again, and I moved in downstairs to the apartment. I was so excited to be back, and so excited to be able to get a dog. Such a silly little dream, but when I woke up I was reminded just how much I ache for that part of my youth. For all those summer days in our swimsuits, running through the grass and stopping to pick a handful of grapes or come inside for a Popsicle from the big freezer.
5 Generations: Left to right:
Dear Great Grandma and Grandpa L,
You've been gone for a while now, and you are still missed. A few weeks ago Grandma D had to clean out your house so that Uncle S and Aunt C can rent it out now, and I know that was a very hard day for her. She gave me a box of your kitchen stuff to go through, and while digging through the pile of plates an silverware, I came a cross a cup.
Small and green, just the perfect size for a kid. One of the very cups we would have used when we came up the stairs from our basement apartment to get a drink of water from grandma's fridge. I couldn't help but raise it to my face to smell it, because it still smelled like that old familiar plastic and your dish soap.
I miss the old house. Our little basement apartment, great grandma and grandpa living upstairs, candy drawers, closets full of old toys, the grape vines and the pool... I miss it all so much it hurts to think about it sometimes.
I dreamt about that house the other day, the one we shared that was build by your own hands. In my dream Mom and Dad bought it again, and I moved in downstairs to the apartment. I was so excited to be back, and so excited to be able to get a dog. Such a silly little dream, but when I woke up I was reminded just how much I ache for that part of my youth. For all those summer days in our swimsuits, running through the grass and stopping to pick a handful of grapes or come inside for a Popsicle from the big freezer.
Wet feet on the cool green-tile floor, then on soft brown carpet... Grandpa in his recliner with the TV turned up. Grandma in the kitchen making pots of chocolate pudding or rice crispy treats... That's home to me.
I love and miss you, and I hope that Heaven is everything you wanted it to be.
-Your great granddaughter.
Back: Grandma D, brother Cole, Me, Daddy, Mom, Great Grandpa L
Front: Great Great Grandma P, Great Grandma L, Great Great Grandpa P
Someone up there you want to talk to? Do!
(Leave me a link if you participated and aren't listed in my "Current Projects" link above!)
Aw, this was so beautiful. What a lovely, heartwarming letter.
ReplyDeleteThat was lovely. I have had those kind of dreams, too. You wake up feeling happy-sad. Sometimes I wake up crying. Those I consider to be more sad. I think it is because when I am in the process of waking up I realize I am just dreaming and I start to cry. I have no doubt that heaven is exactly the way that they want it!
ReplyDeleteRobin, I completely agree. It hurts a little, to miss them so.
ReplyDelete