5.10.2010

No More Bitter in MY City

"I think I'm possibly one bad date away from bitter." 
Carrie Bradshaw SATC

I was going to sit down and post this as my Sunday Citar quote, but after sitting on it a few minutes, I decided to write something else.

I got home from work yesterday, and slipped into what has been my usual routine after work this past week.  Made myself dinner, ate too much pie, and watched episode after episode of Sex And The City.  At first I wasn't so into this show.  These girls are a bit too materialistic for my taste, or so they seemed at first.  However, after the fourth season, which I felt was much deeper than it's three predecessors-I find myself on the fifth one and falling a bit in love with these characters and the fact that they're single and still trying to live life to the fullest in New York City.

Though I live in a much smaller city, I can't help but relate to the love they feel for NYC.  Tonight I watched the show, stressed about work, and felt generally lonely and in fear of ending up like these 35 year old women-still alone.  Then, I heard the street sweeper outside of my apartment and went to the window.  As I watched it turn around on my corner, a fragrant Spring breeze rustled the leaves and washed over me.  Looking down at the green grass below me, my gaze traveled to the street just in time to watch a Subaru driven by a granola chick with red hair and a beatnik beanie.  The only thought I had? "I love this place."


I love living here.  This city is my home, and who needs love when you can be in love with the world around you?  With every yuppie jogging by or walking their golden retrievers and exotic dogs.  I love the sound of both the birds chirping and the cars quickly driving by.  I LOVE that I can walk a few blocks east to the local market, or a few blocks west to the park and pond; while only having a short drive to the theatre, health store, regular store, book store and downtown.

It hit me.  It doesn't matter if I have to commute to work, or commute to see my friends.  I LOVE where I live, and I love my friends and family so I will make it happen no matter where I'm working or how busy my life gets.  I'm working on getting a better job that will afford me the chance to go back to school, and to get all of the things and see all of the places I've been dreaming of.  This could be what is best for me, and who am I to fight the winds of change?

I love my City, my friends, my life... Now it's time to see where the rest falls into place.

13 comments:

  1. That sounds lovely. I hope to see the city one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, hope you had a great Mother's Day!

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so nice to live in a place that you actually like. I really don't care too much for the place I live-but it's what I'm familiar with. And it has family here. That's what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a good feeling...to love where you live and everything it offers. I love my city, too...although it's fairly small.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing better than loving where you're at... not missing anything too much, not striving for the future too much... just perfect :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had that same kind of connection to my city. I hope that once I move I will feel that way, but this is my hometown and I despise it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so sweet! I love it. Is the picture from your window? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missy: It's not my picture, I found it online. But that's my city in front of my mountains. :)

    Blueviolet: I left my hometown at 18, and I go back to visit now again. I will NEVER live there again. Yick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You live in a place that you love and you are happy with yourself not to mention a very attractive lady.

    I love the picture of the mountains....what a gorgeous view....whew Happy Tuesady sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's definitely an awesome feeling to absolutely love where you're at and to be totally content :) i'm glad that you feel that way about your city!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to get into SLC more. Gotta be 100 times better than Ogden....

    ReplyDelete
  12. The statement "This city is my home, and who needs love when you can be in love with the world around you?" struck me. How true! How very true! That is a very lovely thought.

    Accessibility to whatever you need can do wonders to your mindset. When you know that the places you need to visit are just a few block away it definitely makes you fall in love with the place. Also, it brings about positivity like I see in this post. :-)

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.