Synopsis According to Goodreads:
Germany, 1660: When a dying boy is pulled from the river with a mark crudely tattooed on his shoulder, hangman Jakob Kuisl is called upon to investigate whether witchcraft is at play. So begins The Hangman's Daughter--the chillingly detailed, fast-paced historical thriller from German television screenwriter, Oliver Pötzsch--a descendent of the Kuisls, a famous Bavarian executioner clan.
★★★★★ What I Thought:
I really enjoyed this twisted tale set in a time I'm not very familiar with. It was so interesting listening to the author write about the way people thought, and how their medicine and punishments were handled, as well as the very real threat of witchcraft accusations when something was not understood.
The author provided a very diverse set of characters and told the story from all of their different angles, and it was full of detail and background information that lead to a very intriguing tale and colorful world to both get lost in and be horrified by. I really enjoyed it, and in fact purchased a copy of the book for my father as a Christmas gift this year because I thought he'd like it.
I listened to the audio book on this one and was glad I did, the narrator has a great way of speaking and it was nice to hear how the names were supposed to be said instead of the way they read in my language. Such as the character "Simon" which sounds more like "Zeeman". I highly recommend it.

That sounds like a really interesting book. I love books set back in history because they are always so fascinating!
ReplyDeleteSounds interesting! I'll have to check it out!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteI've heard a lot of great reviews of this book, and this just further reinforces those reviews! I'm very happy to hear another positive of this one- will definitely add to my to-read list!!
ReplyDeleteI really like it! I'm listening to the third one, The Beggar King right now. :)
ReplyDeleteI usually order a caramel frap
ReplyDeleteCaramel Frappuccino with extra caramel and chocolate whipped cream. Yum!
ReplyDeleteMy usual is a Soy Chai Latte, no water.
ReplyDeleteI have never tried Starbucks before but this would be a nice gift for my niece who loveees Starbucks!
ReplyDelete