Many of you may remember an ex of mine who I've nicknamed Sneeze on this blog. Sneeze and I met a long time ago via Yahoo messenger. I was just getting my hopes crushed by yet another in a long line of guys that did (and would) stand me up or disappear after we'd been intimate, and he was hopped up on Ambien and decided to shoot me a message and ask me out. This was probably about eight or nine years ago... At first I was put off-I mean who meets a guy who's badgering you over instant messenger? But he was persistent, and we scheduled a date.
That date just so happened to date number three in a week of four dates. The other three included the guy I'd originally been crying over when Sneeze messaged me originally, a guy who made me cry on the first date and was a total jerk who played mind games, and a nice guy who was very into me but I just wasn't into him at all. I still remember my first date with Sneeze, and somehow he's the only one I really kept in touch with out of that week. For our date we met at my work, a bowling alley, and he brought me a bag a cough drops since I'd almost backed out of the date because I was sick. We bowled, we had a few beers, and when he left we had a friendly hug but otherwise he made no moves on me.
I don't remember exactly how he was the only one I stayed in long-term contact with out of all those dates, mostly because I'd thought "he's nice, but I don't know if I feel anything for him", but we very quickly became inseparable. He was just getting out of a messy divorce and getting custody worked out for his two and three year olds, and we just about became insta-family. We were spending a lot of time at his house, taking the kids to the zoo, and throwing parties. When I moved back in with my grandmother, he moved to an apartment nearby so we could stay close. I loved him, and I loved his kids like they were my own.
When his brother and sister-in-law moved back from Italy I felt a little jealous of how much time he was spending with them, but after meeting them I became fast friends and we started spending a lot of time together. Soon, the two of us moved in with their family. We lived, us four adults and the four children, in a three bedroom house together. It was rough some times, but there were probably more good times than bad.
Still, as damaged as he was from his divorce and previously broken heart, he never once was unclear about the fact that he never wanted to get married or have more children. In fact, while we weren't acting on it, he defined our relationship as "open". This wasn't something I was e bothered by, I loved him and his kids and that felt like enough for me. Until it wasn't. One day I realized I couldn't be in a dead-end relationship anymore. He wasn't going to give me everything I wanted, and he wasn't going to love me like I wanted to be loved. I sat down and told him I couldn't be his girlfriend anymore-but we still lived together for 6 months after we broke up. We stayed intimate for a while, until finally starting to date other people.
We stayed friends for years. Which was great in some aspects since friendship had been the biggest factor in our relationship and I still wanted to be a part of his kids' lives. But that friendship wasn't actually healthy-we still relied on each other for far too much and I personally used him as an excuse to not date. While we weren't intimate any longer, we did the daily things like grocery shopping and cooking together, and that filled a small part of the lonely.
One day, out of the blue, he texted me and told me to go screw myself. He wanted to date my good friend and thought I was standing in the way. We ended our friendship and it ended up being a very good thing for me. I learned to move on. I learned to date other people.
That date just so happened to date number three in a week of four dates. The other three included the guy I'd originally been crying over when Sneeze messaged me originally, a guy who made me cry on the first date and was a total jerk who played mind games, and a nice guy who was very into me but I just wasn't into him at all. I still remember my first date with Sneeze, and somehow he's the only one I really kept in touch with out of that week. For our date we met at my work, a bowling alley, and he brought me a bag a cough drops since I'd almost backed out of the date because I was sick. We bowled, we had a few beers, and when he left we had a friendly hug but otherwise he made no moves on me.
I don't remember exactly how he was the only one I stayed in long-term contact with out of all those dates, mostly because I'd thought "he's nice, but I don't know if I feel anything for him", but we very quickly became inseparable. He was just getting out of a messy divorce and getting custody worked out for his two and three year olds, and we just about became insta-family. We were spending a lot of time at his house, taking the kids to the zoo, and throwing parties. When I moved back in with my grandmother, he moved to an apartment nearby so we could stay close. I loved him, and I loved his kids like they were my own.
When his brother and sister-in-law moved back from Italy I felt a little jealous of how much time he was spending with them, but after meeting them I became fast friends and we started spending a lot of time together. Soon, the two of us moved in with their family. We lived, us four adults and the four children, in a three bedroom house together. It was rough some times, but there were probably more good times than bad.
Still, as damaged as he was from his divorce and previously broken heart, he never once was unclear about the fact that he never wanted to get married or have more children. In fact, while we weren't acting on it, he defined our relationship as "open". This wasn't something I was e bothered by, I loved him and his kids and that felt like enough for me. Until it wasn't. One day I realized I couldn't be in a dead-end relationship anymore. He wasn't going to give me everything I wanted, and he wasn't going to love me like I wanted to be loved. I sat down and told him I couldn't be his girlfriend anymore-but we still lived together for 6 months after we broke up. We stayed intimate for a while, until finally starting to date other people.
We stayed friends for years. Which was great in some aspects since friendship had been the biggest factor in our relationship and I still wanted to be a part of his kids' lives. But that friendship wasn't actually healthy-we still relied on each other for far too much and I personally used him as an excuse to not date. While we weren't intimate any longer, we did the daily things like grocery shopping and cooking together, and that filled a small part of the lonely.
One day, out of the blue, he texted me and told me to go screw myself. He wanted to date my good friend and thought I was standing in the way. We ended our friendship and it ended up being a very good thing for me. I learned to move on. I learned to date other people.
Over the years since then we've seen each other a few times here and there. It's been mostly awkward. He is not a person who says he's sorry or he's wrong, he likes to just pick up and move on like it never happened, and I swore I wouldn't be friends with him again unless he apologized. So we didn't become friends and I didn't get to see the children... I missed them. I missed him. But I moved on with my life.
However, since we have friends/family in common we were bound to keep running into each other. We both spent the evening at his our mutual friends one evening and got along fine, though not interacting too much-he isn't the same person he used to be. Then on Halloween we were both in the same place and I got to see the kids. It was so great to see them, and it was great to see my friend-Sneeze-acting like the old friend he used to be. We got drunk together, we reminisced about old times, we added each other back on Facebook. It just happened and it was fun to forget the bad things and just be friendly again.
In my drunken state it was easy to remember everything I loved about him. Everything that I found attractive about him. Every reason I ever had for wanting to have sex with him again. It was easy to want to sleep with him again-but I found myself grateful that it couldn't happen due to monthly circumstances, and remembered when I woke up sober why it would have been a bad idea.
Clean is my favorite song off the new 1989 album by Taylor Swift. It's the song that resonates with me most from the album, especially after Halloween. It was so easy to want to be sucked back into that again-but it's better to remember why you kicked the habit. We can be casual friends, but we'll never be as close as we were, and that's okay. It's healthier. Now that I'm clean, I'm never gonna risk it.
Since I can't find an actual version of this song anywhere (miss TayTay seems to be keeping it under lock and key and shutting down anyone who posts it) you get a cover by this cute girl instead:
Since I can't find an actual version of this song anywhere (miss TayTay seems to be keeping it under lock and key and shutting down anyone who posts it) you get a cover by this cute girl instead:
Clean
Cover by CeCe Oates
The drought was the very worst
When the flowers that we'd grown together died of thirst
It was months and months of back and forth
You're still all over me like a wine-stained dress I can't wear anymore
Hung my head as I lost the war
The sky turned black like a perfect storm
The rain came pouring down
When I was drowning that's when I could finally breathe
That morning, gone was any trace of you
I think I am finally clean
There was nothing left to do
When the butterflies turned to dust they covered my whole room
So I punched a whole in the roof
Let the flood carry away all my pictures of you
Water filled my lungs
I screamed so loud but no one heard a thing
The rain came pouring down
When I was drowning that's when I could finally breathe
That morning, gone was any trace of you
I think I am finally clean
I think I am finally clean
Ten months sober I must admit
Just because you're clean don't mean you don't miss it
Ten months older I wont give in
Now that I"m clean I'm never gonna risk it
The drought was the very worst
When the flowers that we'd grown together died of thirst
The rain came pouring down
When I was drowning that's when I could finally breathe
That morning, gone was any trace of you
I think I am finally clean
I think I am finally clean (x4)
What is Musical Mondays?
Musical Mondays is a weekly linky party where we share a song we're into for the week, and talk about why we like it-or why it effects us. Along with talking about music, I host a month-long music related giveaway.
What are you listening to this week?
Please grab the button and link up your Musical Mondays post in the linky!
November's Musical Monday's Giveaway
This month's giveaway is for an MP3 copy of the album Heart on My Sleeve by Mary Lambert.
If you already have this album, or are international, you will receive a $10 Amazon Gift card instead.
Giveaway is open worldwide from 12AM November 3rd 2014 to 12AM December 1st 2014.
Entering below agrees to all the Terms and Conditions within the Rafflecopter.




You're so brave, and strong! You know, I really love that saying, "stuff falls apart so greater things can fall together." It's been like my mantra this year.
ReplyDeletei've been wanting to download the new tay-swift album. i keep hearing such great things about it. I'll have to do that this week. :)
My husband is not so good at gift giving...so while he builds up his gift giving skills, I have a pinterest "wishlist" board to help him...I'm pretty sure I'm getting the necklace I pinned from a cute Etsy shop!
ReplyDeleteI know I'm most likely getting a computer chair because I've been begging for one and we went to check them out on saturday.
ReplyDeleteI may have convinced my BF to get me the Urban Decay Naked on the Run set!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely my mom has problems keeping a secret.
ReplyDeleteNope, I have a small family and we don't usually exchange presents :/
ReplyDeleteRace gear! I think that's what the husband is planning.
ReplyDeleteThat girl has a kick-ass voice!
ReplyDeleteMy parents used to give me the strangest gifts growing up if I didn't give them a list... things I didn't want or even gave any inkling that I may way. :D
ReplyDeleteMoney is awesome.
ReplyDeleteI have always loved the idea of those! My hands get soooo cold sometimes when I'm working at my computer. I might need some feetwarm slippers too for that matter... lol
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed for you! I got a Christmas gift early - a nice foot spa for my poor, aching feet. I'd mentioned it casually and my boyfriend remembered and bought me one. LOVE it.
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you! My house is overrun by gingers between my boyfriend and 2 cats haha :D
Awesome! Would love to hear where you takes you. :) I love surprises like that.
ReplyDeleteIt's awesome to get what you asked for. Hope you get that and lots of other goodies. :P
ReplyDeleteWell said! I think my favorite part about Christmas is giving gifts and making others happy. :)
ReplyDeleteVery nice sister ya got there :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure someone has picked up on something! I hope you get something very nice. :)
ReplyDeleteOooo The suspense. :D Can't wait to hear what it is!
ReplyDeleteMe too! I'm hoping my boyfriend still manages to surprise me although I think I know everything he's gotten for me. LOL
ReplyDeleteHa! I hope she manages to keep it to herself and you get a nice surprise. :)
ReplyDeleteOMG. I am stupid excited because my boyfriend just ordered a washer and dryer for us. It'll be here Friday. I'm pretty sure I have told everyone I've come in contact with... lol Hope you get one!
ReplyDeleteI'm finding it super hard not to give my boyfriend what I got for him. We've already exchanged a couple. Oops :P
ReplyDeleteThat sounds amazing! I'd love to see it when it's finished. We're in the super early stages of looking into buying a house and I'm already so excited seeing house transformations and getting ideas!
ReplyDeleteOh that sounds nice. :) I do love a good jewelry present... considering I work in a jewelry repair shop. lol
ReplyDeleteI hope you find a good one. I'm currently using one that's kind of cheap but it's certainly better than sitting on the horrible metal chair I was using several months ago. I really want one of those big, comfy leather chairs. Mmm
ReplyDeleteSo jealous. So very, very jealous.
ReplyDeleteHa! I hope she still manages to surprise you with something this year.
ReplyDeleteAw :( Well I hope you manage to do something nice for yourself this year instead.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like fun!
ReplyDeleteI have a funny feeling that I will get a few more scarves -- I am always going on about how much I love scarves :D
ReplyDeleteI've been hinting to my hubby that I'd like a Michael Kors watch - he's pretty good about getting me stuff I love!
ReplyDeleteI know my mom is getting me a new coat :)
ReplyDeleteI know my husband got my an eyeshadow from Sephora because it popped up on the screen when I logged into my Sephora account, oops!
ReplyDeleteexpress jeans - i made a wish list and sent it to the husband :)
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I really don't do xmas gifts, but hoping he'll indulge me for Black Friday sales like last year. :o)
ReplyDeletelove a new day pack
ReplyDeleteI don't have anyone in my life that gets me a gift.
ReplyDeleteJennifer Rote
sometimes, yes, but not so far this year...
ReplyDeleteI know my ex( daughter's father) got me a necklace. Is that weird to other people too. lol.
ReplyDeleteI think my mom is giving me a new coffee maker.
ReplyDeleteI have a hint that my bf is giving me a Keurig for Xmas, pretty much because he hinted at it lol.
ReplyDeleteI have a friend/old flame like this. I'm willing to bet that it was pretty hard to write this post because he was probably on your mind the entire time and then some. Love can be brief, and forgetting about it can take so long.
ReplyDeleteI tried to link, but since there's no linky, here's the link to my latest - http://dissectmythoughts.com/2014/11/musical-monday-youre-my-angel/
Haha Nothing wrong with getting more of what you love, right? Hope you get some pretty ones. :P
ReplyDeleteNote from someone who works in a watch repair shop:
ReplyDeleteMake sure he purchases one for you that is a little more on the high-end side. The very low-end cost ones have a sort of cheap, metallic paint instead of a standard plating. It looks as cheap as it feels. Don't buy them online - buy them in person. MK is an often duped brand.
Also... Stay away from the bands made of plastic links. They break super easy! The ceramic isn't quite as bad, but they do wear out quickly and eventually crack and shatter where the pins are. Stick to the stainless steel band.
I hope he gets you a beautiful watch that you'll love for years to come! :)
Ooo I need a need coat too. It's getting mighty chilly... even down here in SC :D
ReplyDeleteLOL! Oopsie. :D
ReplyDeleteI hope you sent him the right size too! LOL
ReplyDeleteBe careful. It's so crazy out there. But as a hint... Best Buy is going to have a 50" 1080p television on sale for $200. So if you need a new TV... :D
ReplyDeleteExes can still care. :) I buy a nice gift for one of my exes ever year and vice versa. We're still good friends. Especially with him being the father of your daughter, I think it's nice and appropriate that you get something for Christmas. :)
ReplyDeleteHere's hoping Santa obliges! :D
ReplyDeleteAw :( You should treat yourself to something nice. I'm sure you deserve it. Sometimes you just gotta do you, ya know?
ReplyDeleteHopefully they keep their secret and you get a nice surprise :D
ReplyDeleteThat sounds nice... assuming you drink coffee and need a new coffee maker anyways. :D
ReplyDeleteHa! Men are funny like that.
ReplyDeleteNothing wrong at all :D Thank you!
ReplyDeleteoh, I mean the ones online. Specifically, for nail polish. :o) I never even dream of going out on BF!
ReplyDeleteMy mom will be giving me money. She hasn't shopped for gifts in years. Money comes in handy but I am certainly glad everyone else gives gifts - usually I am surprised by those.
ReplyDeleteShe's awesome! I know I'll get a few surprises maybe. I started collecting gifts for her in the Summer..and now I have to find were I stashed them! lol
ReplyDeleteThere's something about being able to open actual gifts, isn't there? I like it when I have lots of little gifts to open - it's much more fun. :D
ReplyDeleteHaha It's CRAZY out there and I work retail so I sort of have to be in it. Since I work at a jewelry and watch repair shop, we don't open super early because no one is worried about jewelry that early. They are in the mall for doorbuster type savings.
ReplyDeleteBut later, when they've broken their jewelry during a Black Friday raid... *grins* lol
My Mister will likely buy whatever I ask for. He's surprised me a couple years (and when he does decide, I'm really surprised), but mostly, he'd rather know that he's getting me exactly what I'd like.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that I haven't already been reading @KimiWho.com's blog. I'm fixing that now because I think we'll really get along.
I think i might be getting a keurig they have been hinting for awhile about it :)
ReplyDeleteI think my husband will be getting me a piece of handmade jewelry from my favorite local artist.
ReplyDeleteOoo I do love custom, hand-made jewelry! I'd love to see it if that's what he gets for you. :)
ReplyDeleteHa! It's funny when they hint at things... and then they are so surprised when you knew, as if they didn't practically tell you. :D
ReplyDeleteI totally get it, because I'd rather the money get spent on something someone wants too. My boyfriend won't tell me what he wants besides one of those meat and cheese tray things. I'm just like... Seriously? Men.
ReplyDeleteYay! I hope you enjoy my blog. I'll have to take a peek at yours. :)
I'm proud of you, who knows what would have happened if you'd wound up back in that cycle.
ReplyDeleteNo linky for Musical Monday this week?
Oh awesome... You're from SC as well :)
ReplyDeleteI am. We live in the Columbia area. Where you from?
ReplyDeleteWe live in Charleston :)
ReplyDeleteThanks! You too x
ReplyDeleteYou should, I'm really enjoying it! And that saying is sooooo true!
ReplyDeleteJust fixed it, argh. Sickness made me forget it, and then Inlinkz was being a pain and not showing up.
ReplyDeleteAh, fixed it. I'm linking yours for you.
ReplyDeleteAnd you're right, it was difficult. I was more worried about writing about it since we're "friends" again and maybe he'd see it. But (fingers crossed) he's pretty wrapped up in his own world so hopefully he wont lol.
Thanks!!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I have that issue. My blog is completely open and honest, and if any of my topics were to see it, I'd probably be in some hot water. But I am at the point where I just don't care anymore. It helps me to be honest, to both myself and my readers.
She really does! I was surprised how many covers there were of it already, since it just came out.
ReplyDeleteI have no hints on anything and my family pretty much stays tight lipped so it will just stay a surprise until Christmas.
ReplyDeleteLOL!
ReplyDeleteMy fiance usually can't keep a secret- he gets too excited and tells me every time!
ReplyDeleteI usually watch my favorite t.v. shows when I'm upset. I make something to eat and end up watching old Bones episodes!
ReplyDeleteMy family don't do gift exchange so I will probably treat myself :)
ReplyDeleteSurprises are nice! Well, most of the time. :D
ReplyDeleteHaha I'm surprised my boyfriend hasn't literally told me "I got you a camera!" :D
ReplyDeleteGood! Everyone deserves a little something. :)
ReplyDeleteMy husband always gets over excited and gives me my presents early. One year he bought me a hope chest and gave it to me in October. When Christmas morning came there were no gifts to open and he was mad that I was upset. He was all "I bought you a hope chest! Don't you remember?" I already know he is getting me a cd because he just told me tonight that he ordered it on Amazon. He's so silly.
ReplyDeleteSurprises are nice, but I am usually the one trying to give subtle hints.
ReplyDeleteI usually have a cry fest, eat non healthy comfort food, light a candle and curl up in my bed in a blanket burrito with my puppy, snuggle and read a book or 6.
ReplyDeleteI think my girlfriend is getting me a pair of shoes I've been not so subtly hinting about.
ReplyDeleteI think my husband is getting me a photo blanket, my son plays baseball, and I've been wanting a blanket with his picture on it. Usually I don't tell my hubby what to get me, but this year I am making it easy on him.
ReplyDeleteI totally get that feeling. :) My boyfriend already gave me a gift early (to be fair, it was a foot spa and I could certainly use it before Christmas since I work retail lol). He keeps trying to offer to give me other gifts and I keep telling him no... because I want things to open on Christmas! :D
ReplyDeleteHa :D Well make sure they are fun ones! I've been telling my boyfriend that he walks past his gift every day (he does lol). It's driving him crazy!
ReplyDeleteYay! Hmm I'd love a new pair of cute shoes...
ReplyDeleteOh that sounds neat. You'll have to share it if you get it! :)
ReplyDeleteI don't have any men in my life, but my moms friend is simple gift wise. Cowboy boots or baking materials.
ReplyDeleteMy dad and stepmom always give me $100...& my mom always gives me chocolate covered cherries & candles or some kind of clothes.
ReplyDeleteI know I am getting a new lens from my dad for my camera!
ReplyDeleteBaking stuff is always nice! I could use more of that myself. :D
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of having a tradition when it comes to gift giving. Sort of related... every year for Halloween, a neighbor used to give me a potato instead of candy. It didn't make sense (and still doesn't) but it was tradition. lol
ReplyDeleteYay! Take lots of pretty pics!
ReplyDeleteYes I am getting some new boots....I drop the hints around here!
ReplyDeleteWell my husband asked for sheet rock. I think I'm getting hair extensions. He's been hinting.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely giveaway. :) Let me think - remember that macro lense for my phone, that i'm looking forward to use for many pretty pics? Well, i guess my dad is buying me one...fingers crossed it fits...
ReplyDeletexo,
Luchessa @ http://luchessa.org/
gopro for the hubby thats all he talks about. I'm thinking the gopro3 its cheaper then the others.
ReplyDeletei am not sure. probably clothes, pair of shoes or bag!
ReplyDeleteHmm a macro lens for a phone? I think I need to do some research...
ReplyDeleteHope you get one! :D
Interesting Christmas wishlist he's got... :D
ReplyDeleteNice! Some new boots sound lovely.
ReplyDeleteHope he loves whatever you get for him :)
ReplyDeleteOoo a new bag would be nice! There's one up for grabs on this blog that you can enter to win. You should check it out. :D
ReplyDeleteI have been hinting for a while now that I want some Hunter rain boots. I have been hinting towards my boyfriend and I am almost positive he has them hidden already. I want them now, lol :(
ReplyDeleteLol, My Mom would (and probably will) give it away - she can never "hold her own water".
ReplyDeleteRafflecopter: Rosie Areola
it is just my husband and i but we don't really exchange gifts
ReplyDeleteI'd love to actually get an Amazon gift card so I can buy Kindle books.
ReplyDeleteI'm not doing gifts this year as my family and I are travelling to New Zealand to spend Christmas with my boyfriend's family, so that's our present! :)
ReplyDeleteMy bf told me I could get a tattoo that he would pay for as a Christmas present. That will probably be it for me =P
ReplyDelete