Many of you have contacted me asking for a post regarding both sponsoring blogs and accepting sponsorship on your blog. This one is going to cover sponsoring other blogs, and the next lesson will cover accepting sponsorship on your blog.
So if you're relatively new to the blogging world, you might be wondering why you should sponsor other blogs. Truth is, you should only do it if it is something you feel would benefit you. If you are blogging simply for yourself and the a few friends here and there and have no desires of gaining a larger audience, you probably wont want to worry about sponsoring anyone else.
However if you want your blog to grow in readership, or you have any hope of monetizing or making a profit from your blog, sponsoring is a fantastic way to build readership and make new friends. Not only do you get eyes on your little advertisement (whether it's in their sidebar, footer, or elsewhere) but a lot of blogs offer lots of other opportunities with their sponsorship.
If you've decided you'd like to get your blog out there to be seen by more blog readers, you may be concerned about how to find blogs to sponsor.
- Check out blogs you're already following. If you love it, why not support it?
- Check out blogs of people who comment on your blog. If they're commenting, they're probably great at communicating and promoting what they love!
- Follow ads from other blogs. Most people who sponsor blogs, offer sponsoring themselves; follow the ads on another blog's sidebar to check out new places to sponsor.
- The Passionfruit Ads Marketplace. This is a huge directory of bloggers who accept sponsorship! You can even see information about them before visiting or purchasing.
- How much does it cost? We all have budgets, so you'll want to make sure you are able to sponsor within that budget.
- How much traffic does this blog get? Most bloggers will list their traffic/follower/subscriber info right on their sponsor page or in their Media Kit. It's not just about followers-but pageviews. You want your ad to be seen as much as possible. Consider the cost vs. features. If they're a small blog with low traffic, but they offer a lot of features and sharing, you may still get more attention and eyes on you than a larger blog who only offers the ad space without additional perks.
- What is being offered? What perks come with the ad space you're thinking of purchasing? Do they offer to share you on social media? Pin your posts on Pinterest? Write about you on their blog?
- Are there Giveaway opportunities? Giveaways are honestly one of the best ways to get your name out there, and a lot of people will offer you the chance to do an individual giveaway, group giveaway, or both on their blogs. You offer a prize (or contribute to a group prize) in return for more attention-including your info in the giveaway post and/or your links as entries into the giveaway.
- Does the blog reach your target audience? A lot of blogs are going to have a very wide range of audience-so most in general are going to reach people who will want to see your stuff-however some are going to be a lot more specific. For example, if you are a blog all about cooking and recipes, you may want to choose to advertise on a food blog-that way people who specifically are looking for food-related stuff will be more likely to follow your add back to your blog. If your shop sells children's clothing, you'll probably want to advertise on a Mommy blog or a blog related to children so that the right audience is seeing what you have to offer them.
- Does the blog go along with your ideals? Easy enough-is this a blog you can openly support? If you're openly religious you may not want to advertise on someone's blog who is anti-what you stand for or who writes about things you wouldn't support. This isn't always an issue, many bloggers support each other even if there are differences in belief, however there are extremes on any side you will want to consider.
When sponsoring another blog, you'll want to use an ad that is both catchy and accurate in portraying what your blog/shop is about. Photo ads tend to look the most professional (unless you have a high-style design with matching ads/buttons) and are some of the easiest to create or have created. You can start with a photo you've taken, or had taken, that is related to your blog-and add text to it to make it eye-grabbing and to also show what people will find if they click on it.
You can create your button yourself in programs like Photoshop or The Gimp (which is what I use), an online tool like PicMonkey, or you can hire someone to create them for you. Some bloggers who offer sponsoring will create one for you for an additional fee, or you can order some from a designer. (I offer them in my shop)
Here are some examples of some ads I love:
These examples look professional and show the personality of the blog/shop they lead to!
- Traffic & Followers: Since my blog has grown it has become important to me to sponsor people with similar or greater traffic and follower count than me. However, I often do go lower (I try not to go too far lower) for really good blogs and/or lower costs. I also will sponsor smaller blogs if I simply love them and want to promote them further.
- Giveaways. Giveaways are important to me when sponsoring-because honestly they feel like the best way to get eyes on my blog or my product.
- Feature/Guest Post: I like blogs which offer some kind of feature, group feature, or guest post along with the other options. That way at least somewhere they'll be talking about me, even if it's included with the giveaway.
- Communication. I wont renew if I feel I didn't get any kind of communication. The person should reach out to me at least once, and then hopefully mention me in social media, comment on my blog, etc.
- Blog Design. I really only sponsor blogs that are visually appealing to me.
- Cost. I can be cheap-I get this. I'm more likely to sponsor someone if I'm offered or find a discount code-and I just can't bring myself to pay $100 for an ad space for a month just because it's a larger blog-especially not if they don't offer me anything else with the ad.
















I would love to sponsor elliesfavouritethings.com because I love her posts, her personality and always have a great time scrolling through her blog (:
ReplyDeleteThe Craziest Paradigm - a 'lil bit of rust & stardust
I love sponsoring blogs I enjoy reading myself. I mostly do ad swaps because the few times I've paid for ads, I haven't seen any return from it... Maybe I'm just not sponsoring the right blogs!
ReplyDeleteI've been starting to think about sponsoring, this was super helpful!
ReplyDeleteI like sponsoring blogs, that i really enjoy reading myself (each & every post!)
ReplyDeleteI have a few of them. One is obviously Yours Angie, but also Nykki from Nykki talkes Beauty, Nia from Cherryfashion and Georgina from Makeup-pixi3.
As a reader & sponsorer its great to be included in group happenings & being talked to. That way you end up feeling "needed & valued" as a supporter. I hope it makes sense. :)
Xoxo, Luchessa.
I honestly haven't sponsored any blogs on my own yet (I've just won ads on other blogs) but I want to start soon. This will help me to decide who is best, thanks!
ReplyDeleteI havent sponsored any blogs yet.. I dont believe my blog is big enough yet!! But thanks for the advice! Its always wonderful!!
ReplyDeleteI have yet to sponsor any other blogs, but your post is perfectly timed b/c for the last week I have been seriously considering trying to attract more traffic via sponsorships
ReplyDeleteHappy Fourth of July and my favorite blog to read and sponsor is yours of course
ReplyDeleteI'm having a go at sponsoring blogs this month, so I can't say anything about it yet. However, I already have both good and bad impressions.
ReplyDeletethe best person I have sponsored is Lanaya from raising-reagan.com
ReplyDeleteI love sponsoring your blog! I love that you include me in your giveaways even though I am just swapping.
ReplyDeleteAnother blogger I love is "Life is a Sunset". I am swapping ads with her too and yet I still get lots of traffic from her site.
I have sponsored Kitty & Buck quite a few times, which is something I love to do. Shell has such a great blog and is so sweet.
ReplyDeleteI have never sponsored a blog before but I would love to sponsor Make it Love it blog. She has the most awesome tutorials and she has a sense of humor. She just seems so sweet to me!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for featuring my ad design! I'm working with a small budget so I don't offer sponsor other blogs. I do love blog ad swaps though. Once my blog gets a bit bigger I will start to look into sponsoring my favorite blogs.
ReplyDelete=)
~Jenny
YOU are definitely my favorite blog to sponsor because you do so much for your sponsors. It's a little investment for a huge return.
ReplyDeleteI haven't really looked into sponsoring blogs, but I stumbled across this post while researching it. There are a lot of blogs I love that I would sponsor, but to answer your question, can I cheat a little and give 2? They would be girlwithredballoon.com and breakthesky.net. They have been a big blogging inspiration to me!
ReplyDelete~ Miss Amanda
I havent sponsored any blogs yet..my blog is new & not big..but i think this sponsoring blog maybe a great idea for future (^_^)
ReplyDeleteI have done a few ad swaps, but never sponsored yet! Simply because I'm waiting for wages to come in from my new job, once I get the money I will start sponsoring :-) My favourite blog I sponsored was In Between Idols, I always loved the blog and was thrilled to sponsor it! xo
ReplyDeleteWell, seeing as your blog is the only one I sponsor... =)
ReplyDeleteThis is such an awesome series you started! I am definitely saving all of this information!
ReplyDeleteI have been following your blog for quite some time now, and I love it! I am definitely entering!
I have never been sponsored a blog before, I am fairly new to blogging- I started off blogging poetry in 2009 (but not to get readers) then changed it to a make-up and fashion sort of blog. I get views each day, but not as many as I would like. I would LOVE to spruce of my blog.
I would love to sponsor but my site is newbie.
ReplyDeleteI've sponsored the Beauty Blogger Bunch for the Summer Giveaway coming soon - but apart from that its all new to me which is why I come here - a lot!
ReplyDeletexXx
http://ohsogawjess.blogspot.co.uk/
I have a new blog so I have yet to sponsor somebody, but I would love to sponsor The Life Of Bon!
ReplyDeleteI've consistently sponsored Sunny With a Chance of Sprinkles. Chelsea is awesome and she's always promoting her sponsors!
ReplyDeleteI've really loved sponsoring SWOCS, Lena B, Actually and Just Love.ly. They are great to work with!
ReplyDeleteMY favorite blogs to sponsor is From Mrs. To Mama and I agree, Chelsea is awesome as well!!
ReplyDeleteI love sponsoring my friend Laura's blog, Habits and Novelties (found at http://literarylegs.blogspot.com). Which reminds me, I should get her updated button...
ReplyDeleteI've never paid or been paid for sponsoring. Maybe I should, I don't know. Need to get a better handle on my blog, first. It's been a rough year.
Chelsea is AMAZING! I also love Holly from Where We Can Live Like Jack and Sally and Mal from Mal Smiles! :)
ReplyDeleteThis post is perfect!! I'm a total newbie blogger and had no idea what, why, how, or even how much of sponsoring other blogs! This is a great help, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete--Michelle @ The MaMade Diaires