It's Tuesday! So you know what that means right? Beautiful Randomness!
♥ I feel totally in love with a blog I found yesterday, and I found it because it was featured on SITS. It's called More To Love. Basically, she draws these adorable illustrations of real looking women, and writes about body issues and loving yourself for who you are. She talks about how no one really cares about your pants size, how even Goddess' have cellulite, and many many other things. As a girl who's struggled with weight and body issues, I highly recommend this read to anyone, and I feel inspired after having read it!
© Elizabeth Patch
☺ Although I'm sick and "under construction" (my aunt-flo is in town, if ya know what I mean) my mood has dramatically improved from last weeks depressive madness. I spent most of last week bawling, and curled up on the couch watching my comfort show (Grey's Anatomy) and feeling sorry for myself. This week? Well the sun is out and the PMS is gone, so I'm in much better spirits. As long as the sickness and cramps don't kill me, I should be fine for a little while.
★ I made homemade Egg Rolls, Sweet & Sour Chicken, and Lettuce Wraps for dinner Sunday and then again last night. They were so ridiculously good, that we enjoyed having them two days in a row! I didn't take pictures (sad I know) but you can find the recipes and the original pictures over at Little Birdie Secrets! They're seriously full of win, and I highly recommend them!
Well, I'm going to end here because we're super busy at work today, and my head cold is killing me, so I've run out of random. Head on over to Keely's and get your random on!
☠ I am so very sick today. What I thought were allergies yesterday, ended up being a head cold that was sneaking up on me today. By the time I woke up this morning, I was miserable. Please let this go away soon!
☺ Although I'm sick and "under construction" (my aunt-flo is in town, if ya know what I mean) my mood has dramatically improved from last weeks depressive madness. I spent most of last week bawling, and curled up on the couch watching my comfort show (Grey's Anatomy) and feeling sorry for myself. This week? Well the sun is out and the PMS is gone, so I'm in much better spirits. As long as the sickness and cramps don't kill me, I should be fine for a little while.
★ I made homemade Egg Rolls, Sweet & Sour Chicken, and Lettuce Wraps for dinner Sunday and then again last night. They were so ridiculously good, that we enjoyed having them two days in a row! I didn't take pictures (sad I know) but you can find the recipes and the original pictures over at Little Birdie Secrets! They're seriously full of win, and I highly recommend them!
♂ The Sex Education Bill was voted down in the Utah Senate yesterday. Here's the kicker, those bastards didn't even discuss it! Senate Bill 54 would have modified the way sex education was taught in high schools, allowing the teachers to discuss healthy relationships, human development, and the proper uses of contraceptives; rather than Utah's "Abstinence Only" policy.
This frustrates me because I've seen first hand (among many of my friends) that this doesn't work. So many of my friends got pregnant in high school, because a continuous "Just don't do it!" mentality not only doesn't prevent anything, it pushes the defiant teenagers to do it. I'm a firm believer that we should teach them that at that age they really are too young to be engaging in sexual acts, but if they do-hey here's how you use a condom so you don't have a baby or get herpes. How hard is that?
Basically, our conservative lawmakers didn't really discuss it, because it had the word contraceptives in it. One lawmaker even admitted that! They say it's the parent's job to discuss that with their children, which I agree with-except-they forget that a lot of parents aren't really doing their job. For example; my friend's sister and brother-in-laws didn't teach their kids ANYTHING. They're very neglectful parents (not being home for a week straight, alcoholic, etc. That's a story for a different day) and their oldest just began having sex. When she discussed it with my friend (her aunt) and was asked if she was using protection, she said "Kind of... Sometimes at the end..." We were astounded! My friend drove her to Planned Parenthood to get birth control, and the girl (age 19) said she would have never even known to do that. She would have ended up with an child she couldn't take care of at her age (no job, living with the boyfriend's parents, etc.) and not only would it have changed her life, but it would have been a drain on our Welfare. So isn't it smarter all around to teach kids that even though they probably shouldn't be doing it, how to be safe if it happens?

Lovely randomness today =]
ReplyDeleteMmm...egg rolls. My favorite!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing that we still live in a country that thinks teenagers are really going to listen to "Just don't do it." Don't they know the sexual revolution of the 60's completely changed how people view sex (I know, I wasn't alive in the 60's, but I can still have an opinion).
When will they realize that giving teenagers to tools to protect themselves isn't the same thing as giving them permission. Really? Crazy!
I agree with you on the sex ed thing.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the rest of your RTT.
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/02/learn-how-to-slice-your-kids-hot-dogs-boomers-who-still-smoke-the-stuff-pit-bulls-and-little-people-all-have-what-in-common/
Hello, just droppi in from SITS, I also read this featured blog yesterday and thought it was wonderful, so refreshing. Glad to have found you x
ReplyDeleteGet better soon!
ReplyDeleteso much to comment on!! food sex...what else is there!? hehehe
ReplyDeleteHope you get to feeling better!! Love the little icons in your post!
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister! We have to teach our kids about sex and its consequences or we will all end up taking care of babies at 50 again as we pick up the pieces of our kids' wrecked lives. Eek.
ReplyDeleteOver here in the UK, they play condom commercials on the radio all the time (really frank ones, I must say) and every pub has condom machines in their bathrooms. The don't bother with selling pads here, the machines have tampons on one side and condoms on the other. How do you like that? :)
Chinese is my fave! I will check out those recipes.
I really liked the artwork, especially the pagany imagery... as far as the sex ed goes... I've got to get the fuck out of here. You with me?
ReplyDeleteHope you feel better soon :)
ReplyDeleteegg rolls and lettuce wraps sound so good! I checked them out :) yum!
Get better soon and thanks for the tip on the egg roll recipe. I love egg rolls, spring rolls, lobster rolls. Gosh, I'm hungry now!
ReplyDeletehello Miss Angie! I was stopping by to say thank you for visiting my blog on Monday, and was so surprised to see you mentioning my blog. Thank you for helping make my SITS day special, and I am so happy that my art & writing connects you (that's the reason I do it!) Smiles and get better soon!
ReplyDeleteThe last topic of this random thoughts has struck me. Here, in India, sex education is received via friends, dirty magazines and porn sites. Parents and teachers do not talk about it, because "sex" is a tabooed word. And it would be called 'adult education' because people are too ashamed to use the word 'sex'. What a pity! 'Sex' is outrageous yet India is the highest populated country in the world. I wonder where so many people came from!
ReplyDelete