First of all, Happy Summer Solstice/Midsummer/Litha
Summer is officially here!
Last night I went to dinner with my grandmother and my baby sister for sister's birthday. She's had a rough time as of late because she's getting divorced, and it was kind of sprung on her. However, she was so very grown up about it that I was impressed-and proud of her!
Then my grandmother and I drove home (we had separate cars but were going the same way-since I had been at work before we went to dinner) and when she got off her exit I felt that old familiar ache. I'm 25 years old and still feel like that little girl homesick for her grandmother every time we part. I remember waking my mom up in the middle of the night when I was little, I was bawling and needed desperately to talk to my grandma. I cried for a while yesterday after we separated.
![]() |
| When I was about 4, at my grandma's house with her cats. |
I should mention that I'm hormonal this week... So yesterday I wanted to cry over everything.
This past weekend was pretty chill. Friday night we had a small group of friends over, some drinks, and a terrible terrible 70's movie that kind of made me want to bang my head against the wall (because it's so bad.) Then other than the Farmers Market on Saturday, I spent the weekend finishing up swap goodness, watching True Blood, and starting an extensive de-junking process.
My roommate has been all sorts of into Feng Shui, so he's been Feng Shui-ing his bedroom, and the rest of the living area-so I thought this would be a good way to get on board and finally clean up my cluttered bedroom. A cluttered room is a cluttered mind, right?
Don't worry, there will be a post with before and after pictures. Then you'll see just how bad it was.
Don't worry, there will be a post with before and after pictures. Then you'll see just how bad it was.
Yesterday I felt like the world's worst roommate/friend. Sunday night I was so hormonal and frustrated that I lashed out and told my roommate I didn't like the random glasses with rocks and water he had set out. They were part of the Feng Shui and they made him happy, but I was frustrated with it and shouldn't have said anything. I came home last night (he wasn't home) and found that he had dumped them out. I felt so terrible. I cried for over a half an hour over it, until I finally composed myself and went to the store to buy him some pretty glass bowls so he could do it more decoratively.
| Something like this! |
I still feel kind of bad over it, even though he assured me it was not an issue and he didn't think much of it. He had just been using the cups as placeholders until we got something prettier. I was pretty much an emotional mess the entire evening anyway-crying at the drop of a hat and over everything. Poor man, he's such a great guy to put up with this with me once a month! I'm so lucky to have such an amazing friend!
Speaking of friends, I've been thinking more about cutting ties... I don't really want to, but some people cause me stress because I feel like I'm making an effort to keep in touch with them, and they never respond. They don't comment on facebook-sometimes they'll respond to what I say on their things, but even that is rare and they almost never comment on anything of mine or message me to initiate a conversation. I just feel like they're not putting any effort into being my friend back... But they're close enough, or I should say were close enough, I don't feel comfortable just writing them off... :( It's depressing, and makes me just want to give up and stop trying.
But on the upside, I have this amazing family growing around me now. With Elisa and Julie living next door to Josh and I, and Meggy and Jon coming around all the time-I feel surrounded by love. There's always someone to talk to, something to do, and someone on my couch watching Movies with us-even on the weekdays now. It's lovely. My heart really feels so full-as cheesy as it sounds. I am grateful for that.
What's on your mind?

Happy Summer!
ReplyDeleteYour story about your grandmother is so sweet. That's a really special relationship. :)
Cutting ties with friends is hard, but you have to do what makes you happy. I feel like I invest way more time in my friends than they do me, but I can't let it get me down because if I did? I'd have no friends, haha Like any relationship though, it takes work, patience and communication. If that's not enough to bring you happiness then you need to do what will. Even if that means breaking up with them! Good luck!
I love my grandma the same way... I feel like now that I'm older we don't have as much time together & I hate it!!!
ReplyDeleteBut I agree, cutting ties with friends is hard, but it HAS to be done, especially if they are wearing you down ~ which they obviously are. I've done it myself slowly over the last year and I am sooo much happier now. I wish we lived closer! lol
XoXo
my SIL let me borrow the first 2 seasons of true blood. now i just need time to watch them. there aren't enough hours in the day.
ReplyDeleteNobody wants a one-way friendship so I can't blame you a bit.
ReplyDeleteYou know what it sounds like? It sounds like we need to go out and have some tequila!
But...your sister just got married, like a year ago! Grrr, gonna find that boy and kick him in the nuts.
ReplyDeleteAnd cut yourself some slack- stress and hormones can make us lose control. True friends show patience and love, and know that they, too, can lose control around us and everything will be okay after.
I think my son is going to be that way about his grandma. I'm trying to see it as a positive.
ReplyDeleteStress and hormones can wreak some serious havoc! Don't sweat it. :)