1.28.2011

In Memory of an Amazing Woman

Last night I attended a memorial service for a woman I had never met, or even spoken to in my life. It's strange to think how closely our lives may have touched, as her daughter is one of my most dear friends, yet I didn't meet her until after her death.  Her name was Jodi.

I attended the service to support Meg, who is going through a hard time with the loss of her mother, and who I love very much.  She's become like a sister to me over these last few months, and even more so since she started dating my good friend Jon.  Watching her make the tearful rounds last night, with him by her side supporting and loving her, touched me deeply. (it made me cry a little, I'll admit it-but that's a story/post for another day!)

It was also incredible to watch how the events unfolded at the gathering last night, and I found myself with tear filled eyes on several occasions listening to her close friends and family stand up and talk about this amazing woman, and all of the wondrous things she'd done.  Not only had she raised 3 amazing girls, but she was a mom to so many other people who looked up to her and were utterly changed by her.  Even people she'd never met.

Her daughters stood at the podium and read letters that had been emailed to them from all over the world.  Jodi had been an avid Facebook user, and had joined multiple groups.  There was a framed letter sent from a couple of autistic girls in CO who wrote saying that she had changed their lives.  She helped so many autistic children accept themselves, and she touched so many lives all over the world.  The emails sent to her family after her death were numerous, and each and every one of them spoke of a woman who loved fiercely and advocated being the best kind of human being any of us could hope to be.

By the end of the evening, I found myself deeply grieved that I had never had an opportunity to know this woman, and to have my life bettered by her love as well.

However, I count myself very lucky that I get to know and love her through her daughter, who is an amazing person because of this amazing woman.  That is something I count myself very blessed to get to experience. I am so glad to have Meggy in my life!

The roommate and I were discussing is the fact that there were so many people who stood up and spoke about her. These people had known her and her children their whole lives.  He said to me "Can you imagine being there throughout our whole lives? Through weddings and having babies and all that stuff?" I responded "Do you have any doubt that we will be there to stand up at one or the other's funeral to tell stories like that?" We both sat and thought about it in amazement.  I pray that when I die, there is a bunch of people to stand up at the podium and speak with love about knowing me, and tell stories of our youth together, and reassure my children that they were deeply loved.

Since last night, I have found myself thinking about this a lot.  It reminds me of a quote by Mark Twain:

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."

Jodi certainly did.  If someone like me, who had never met her, can feel such loss at having her taken from the world-I'd certainly call that a successful life.  I want to live like that, and can only strive to follow in those footsteps.

Thank you Jodi, for being the amazing woman you were and touching so many lives, even those of us who never knew you. Also, thank you for raising such an amazing friend for me, I don't know what I'd do without her.  You will be missed.



And for all of you friends and bloggy buddies; I am truly grateful for you all.  Jodi taught me that every single relationship counts for something, in face-to-face life or online, and her memory reminds me that I need to tell you more often. You are all such a blessing to me!

3 comments:

  1. I never know what to say. Her daughter is very lucky to have a friend like you. and your blog is a blessing to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My life is absolute chaos all the time, but that's just how I want it. I was to have as many deep connections as I can and I love that I have a village raising my children. People that are there all the time to glean other's experience and they can count on. I love family beds (though it's not practical). I do everything I want to do while I can do it, I want to be happy all the time and I want the same for my children. Life is short. I'm thankful for you and your frequent interactions with my children. I love that they can count on you, love on you, learn from you, it's the best way to live in my opinion. It also takes a village to raise an adult. To make everyone feel special and loved and supported.

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.