9.02.2009

Writers Workshop: The First Day


It's the weekly prompt from Mama Kat! The prompts were:
  1. Write about a time when you were wrongly wronged.
  2. Geriatric peeping Tom neighbors? Do tell.
  3. Mommy play dates? What's your experience with mom dating?
  4. The first day of...
  5. Share your friendly advice for someone who you think needs it.
The prompts were really hard for me to choose from this time. Mostly because I can't recall any time I was wrongly wronged, I've never had a geriatric peeping Tom neighbor (Thank the GODS), I'm not a mommy, the fourth is confusing, and my advice has been mostly listed in previous posts.

So I'm going to go with number four, and talk about the first day of the rest of my life. Which I don't fully understand. Everyone always says "it's the first day of the rest of your life!" Isn't it always? Isn't tomorrow going to be the first day of the rest of my life from that point?

I know they mean for it to be symbolic, but it's not like you can just erase all of the past and start over. Everything I've been through, everything that I've done; those are the things that have made me who I am. Some crazy turn of events led to another crazy turn of events, which has landed me right where I am.

However, I am unhappy with where I am now. I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I stopped going to school and now I have no formal education. As far as jobs go I've been trading up, but drew the short end of the stick and am now looking for anything. I've lingered in relationships far past the time I should have left, and I have let myself be walked on and taken advantage of.

This is where the first day of the rest of my life comes into play. This is where I start making conscious decisions to change my life and make it the way I want it to be. I do this by finding a better job, going back to school next year, and changing the way I go about relationships. I've made a promise to myself, from this point forward.

I WILL go back to school when I turn 24 and can get enough grants to get by.
I WILL find a job that makes me happy along with supporting the life I want to live.

And most of all...

I WILL respect myself and not allow myself to be used or pushed around.
I WILL find myself a lasting relationship with someone who respects and loves me.

I WILL turn my life around and be happy again. That's a guarantee.

10 comments:

  1. Those sound like really great goals...you'll get there with that kind of determination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, first time visiting you. Yes, I believe you will, and as long as you continue to believe you will, then you will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I think if you focus on the third one, you will find that the first two come a bit easier - nothing like improving self-esteem and self-respect for us to expect the best of ourselves, and to expect the best in others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the prompts hard too...so I came up with a lame=o post.

    I promise you.. in 10 years.. you'll still be setting goals for yourself. But you'll be all like.. durn.. I was trying to accomplish THIS one in 2009. Dust it off an stuff. But that's okay. Keep goal making...keep revising.. and be flexible. We all dont' take the same route to get to where we belong.

    But I will tell you this. Don't let anyone use you or push you around. Let's keep that one up front.
    Good luck in your life! It's wide open. Look at it that way!
    d

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you! Know that all those things are possible and within your reach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl! And take it from a newly turned forty year old who survived those younger "lost" years when I say, I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! It is true also. We need to put ourselves forward, not be pushed around and love ourself. Once we can accomplish that, then we can be happy. Good luck and I hope you will be happy where you are. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you, Angie! Everyday is the first day of the rest of your life! You seem to have a good head on your shoulders about things though. It's refreshing to hear you be so optimistic and confident even though you've been through so much. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best thing that I ever did was go back to school, it provided me with an outlet to a job I loved! Keep moving forward towards your dreams and setting goals! Love the post, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.