1.) What does marriage mean to you? (inspired by Jon Gosselin) :)
To me, Marriage is a business arrangement that you enter into with someone you wish to be in contract with for that long. Honestly, if you love someone you could just be together without the little piece of paper saying so, but marriage also comes with a lot of benefit in this country. In Europe, it doesn't have nearly the sway it does here, but here in the grand old U.S.A. it brings such things as shared insurance benefits, tax deductions, and the ability to visit each other in the hospital.
So basically, the best reason to get married is for the benefits that come with it. In that case it becomes a contract and you'll want to choose someone you can see yourself being able to abide that contract with for as long as you can, if not the rest of your life.
Also, I have to just add here that it is a basic human right, and we shouldn't be keeping it from people. (You know what I'm talking about here now-the LGBT community.) I recently watched What Happens in Vegas (starring Cameron Diaz and Ashton Kutcher) and the judge on the show ordered them to stay together and said "You know gay people aren't destroying the sanctity of marriage, you people are! Marriage is about love and commitment!"
2.) Scaredy Cat!!! (inspired by Brandi from Not Your Average Soccer Mom)
When I was 10, my little brother Ryan was born. It wasn't very long after that Mom got a job and I would babysit while she was gone. It was also about that time that I first watched Labyrinth (which the first time I saw it, it freaked me out because my baby brother was about the same age. The second time I watched it, David Bowie... Well, that's another story!) as well as Twister-which the little boy in that just so happened to be named the same as my little brother, and this worried me.
I would stay awake late at night worrying about him, and getting up constantly to sneak into his room while he slept and make sure he was still breathing. I had this gut-wrenching fear that one morning I would wake up and he would be dead. I'm not sure exactly what caused this, but I suspect it may have been the Shirley Sealy book where the baby dies of SIDS. My brother is 13 years old now, and still when I stay over there I say a silent prayer that he'll be ok through the night.
3.) List the pieces of you that have come from those around you? (inspired via Tweet by Angela from My So-Called Chaos) < onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/awitchkitty/Avatars/About%20ME/life80.png">
Who I am today had been built up by the experiences I've had in the past and the different people who have been a cause of those experiences. We pick up things from those we love, sometimes those things are good, and sometimes they aren't so great, but we still do. Things like how we feel about certain things, different facial expressions, and especially sayings and words.
Here are a few examples:
There are at least 4 people in my group that now say "I know, right?" which we picked up from our British friend Mark. Also, just saying "Riiiggght???" It just caught.
My friend Kristina has this voice she does when she's trying to be cute, nearly every damn one of us that hangs out with her has now picked up this little voice, and we don't even realize when we're doing it! I do it all the time now, it's crazy! It's also cute. (Love you Kristi!) I shouldn't forget that we've also picked up her fascination with serial killers, and some of her creepy little sayings that we never really mean, but it's fun to joke about.
But most importantly, I have learned who I am through my friends. Your friends always seem to see you much more clearly than you do yourself. On a day when I feel like I don't really like how I look, I can sometimes get the most compliments from those I love, without them even knowing I'm worried about it. There are times, when I feel like I should just melt away into nothing because I don't like who I am, but a friend will call and tell me they miss me or love me, and I'll remember why I'm here. I'll remember that I'm loved, and respected, and that these are the people that keep me going in life.
Josh and I were just talking about the fact that we love how our friends are more like family. There is this select group of my friends who I would take a bullet for, and I wouldn't change that for the world.
I love all of you friends of mine so god-damned much, you keep me breathing, and I hope you know just how special you truly are to me.
4.) The first day of...
Already did this one, you can read it HERE.
5.) Transcribe a recent entertaining conversation you recently had with someone.
We'll take this one from today, when I was out shopping with my good friend David, who happens to be gayer than Christmas. (For the record-that too is a saying I picked up from one of my very best friends! It's awesome!)
Me: (Trying on a green dress over my clothing, that was much too tight) Yup, this is too tight.
David: (Staring intently at my chest) I don't know, but I am just enamored with your breasts.
Me: (Laughing) But you're gay! You don't like boobs!
David: I know, but there's something about yours that just draws me in. I can't get over it! As long as I don't see nipples... I just really like yours.
Me: (Taking off the green dress) Well I'll take that as a compliment, that my cleavage is so amazing they can even enthrall a man as gay as you!
David: You should. Your girls are marvelous!
hehehehe!!!! thats just WRONG!!!! hahaha you go girl!
ReplyDeleteAbout the scaredy cat post - You are the sweetest sister.
ReplyDeleteNot that I have any of my own made up words or sayings, but my daughter has a few that are just hilarious and she has her own made up voice that cracks me right up. I make her do her voice for me when I am feeling down. It's a hoot!
Compliments from gay men should always be taken seriously, they know women and fashion more than we ever thought of knowing. I love GAY men - they are good for my ego.
ABSOLUTELY on #1, DEFINITLY.
ReplyDeleteLMAO, those were all great! Sounds like you have really great friends :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for following!! You've made my day :) Now I'm off to read more of your blog!
I have to say that the #1 thing that separates marriage from a business contract is the mutual affection of the partners. You can have a business contract with someone you actively dislike and still have it be a success - that is not the case for a marriage.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I liked #4 too - good luck converting. {*grin*}
The way you were with your brother, I was the same way with both my boys....still am!
ReplyDeleteWow! That's one powerful set of boobs you have there. Maybe you could market them to the crazy religious people who think they can UNgay people. Or, if they have that effect on a gay man, just think how powerfully you could mesmerize a straight one.
ReplyDeleteMy response to Mama Kat's writing workshop is HERE.
I liked your prompt! I was going to do it actually but I'm getting married in a little over a month so the marriage one seemed so appropriate for me. Congratulations on the rack that even gays are enamored with!
ReplyDeleteso cute and fun. great responses to the prompts
ReplyDelete