Surprisingly, a common misconception about me is that I'm perfectly sweet an innocent. Many people who first meet me think I'm a Mormon, even though I am not. Mostly, I believe it is because I live in Utah and the general population here is in some way affiliated with the LDS church. Having been raised that way, my religious philosophy tends to be very different from theirs, and the way I live my life is not in line with standard religious teachings. There have been people I've known for months that come to me shocked because they found out I wasn't what they first thought I was. In fact my old boss Dave, whom I had known before I started working with him (Bree's husband) had known me for a couple of years before his view of me was startled into change.
I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, mind you, I'm simply saying that I look at myself and can't possibly fathom that being the energy I radiate. In my personal opinion, I would think it would be quite the opposite.
Sometimes I have to stop and think about whether the way I dress or my mannerisms lead them to believe this, because though it is densely populated with that belief here, I tend to run with many who are not affiliated with it and even they sometimes think of me this way. I have a very sweet personality, especially when you first meet me, this could possible lead to the misconception.
Kristina tells me I have a "thing". I'm the girl in the group that everyone thinks is sweet and pure and only thinking good things. Then, once they get me into a conversation I can go off on a topic like serial killers and my love of studying them, and they find that I'm completely different than I first came off to them.
This is something I actually enjoy, because I take a bit of pleasure in the shock value of it all and I like surprising people. Therefor, I think I'll continue to live up to this reputation because it's fun and exciting! I really enjoy showing people their misconceptions about me, and then enticing them to re-evaluate their opinions.
You are proof positive that you can't judge a book by it's cover!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog!
Don't you love it when you bust someone's preconceived notion of you? I love it! Great post!!
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for visiting. I love the term "spoonerism" - I'll have to remember that, as I have those moments a lot! Thanks for enlightening me!
I'm always a little surprised when people make assumptions about me...because you know they draw their conclusions from SOMETHING. I think it's cute that you like to surprise people by bringing something new to the table that they wouldn't expect.
ReplyDeleteThanks for playing along!!
Always good to keep people on their toes. I'm afraid I am what I look like...a smart-ass.
ReplyDeleteYay for using misconceptions to your advantage! ^_^
ReplyDelete