I still remember this episode of Grey's Anatomy. Okay, I remember all of the episodes because it's my comfort show and I may
One night stands don't work for me. Sleeping together without having feelings for each other doesn't work for me. This is something that time and a lot of experience with the matter have taught me. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to convince myself otherwise because I was thinking with my hormones and not with my head, only to have another lesson-induced smack down from the Universe saying "You can't do this."
Why don't they work for me? I get attached. It's just something that happens, and I've come to accept that about myself. My heart does live in my vagina, and chances are if I choose to be intimate with someone like that I already have feelings for them-feelings that can only be intensified after being so close and releasing all of those love-like chemicals into the brain. You see sex, or most physical contact, releases all sorts of hormones and makes your Dopamine skyrocket. This is much like a reaction to a drug or any other addictive substance, and that is why when it goes away we crash so hard. They're love withdrawals, and I get them bad.
I've spent a lot of my life fighting this fact. It seems to me that it would be much easier if I could just satisfy any physical need I want without wanting anything more than that from people. However, I've come to realize that feeling something for people isn't a bad thing. How can it be wrong to love with all you have? It's not. I'd rather fall for every person I'm intimate with and get hurt than be numb or unfeeling. I honestly believe we should go out there and love anything and everything we have. We should love the people who love us, and we should love the people who don't. There's far too much else in this world, a little extra love isn't a bad thing. Spread it around freely.
The problem comes with the attachment. To be attached to something means we're placing the power of our happiness or love on the condition that the thing we're attached to will always be there. When we get attached to something we forget that nothing is permanent, and that the only thing we can control is our own actions and reactions. That thing we're attaching our hopes and dreams to could be gone in an instant, and when it goes we're going to hurt-a lot.
Attachment does not equal love. When we attach to something or some one, we are trying to control it and the situation because we feel so out of control about it it-but that's the thing-you can't control love, and you can't control the person you're loving. We have to learn to relinquish control and just go with it. If we are able to just go with it, and not attach ourselves to it in order to try and control it, then we can love freely and accept that whatever will be will be. It will probably still hurt when it ends, but it wont break us as badly as that severed attachment does. We have to accept that nothing lasts forever, and a little bit of hurt lets us know that we're still alive. It lets us know we're a living, breathing, feeling thing-and it allows us to appreciate when we feel the good things in life.
No one is perfect. Here I sit talking about how to love and not attach to things, when I fully admitted that I get attached. I'm working on it, and it's a long and difficult process. It's hard to train yourself to love a different way when the one way is all you've been doing for your entire life, but let's be honest-that way hasn't been working for me. It has just left a lot of heartache and apprehension for the future. I'd become afraid to love someone, because in my head loving someone was always this big painful process that ultimately led to me being alone and hurting. It doesn't have to be like that, and I'm trying to learn that I can love openly and fully, and then if the time comes, let it dissolve back into the sea if needs be. There's something ultimately poetic about a goodbye that's as peaceful as the tide washing the sand away... Perhaps that's how it's supposed to be.





I have watched every episode of Grey's like eleventy-billion times. :) I can't stop.
ReplyDeleteA girl after my own heart. Man, we have a lot in common!
ReplyDeleteYes, we do!!!
ReplyDeleteBeing attached is tough and definitely gets a lot more complicated when intimacy is involved. I love your last couple sentences about the tide. Great analogy.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I just keep thinking I need to find a healthier way to love. It's great to want people, but you shouldn't need them.
ReplyDeleteVery insightful! One night stands wouldn't work or me either, Ive been with my hubby since high school. Thank you for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteAh that's lovely. It's great when love lasts like that. :)
ReplyDeleteWhen I read 'My heart lives in my vagina', I just thought of Lexi!! My favorite show! Well written. :)
ReplyDeleteI remember thinking the same of myself during that episode!!!! And, everything you put in this post, is me. Totally. When I started dating my boyfriend, my best friend was like - aren't you two a little too attached to each other? Aren't you afraid it will end up like the other guys? And my (long thought about answer) was basically no. It was a mutual (probably the biggest reason I wasn't afraid) attraction, we totally enjoyed each other's company, and we loved being together. I truly was falling in love and how could I let past failings hold me back. If I gave 100% in relationships to guys who DIDN'T deserve it..... why hold back from one who clearly did? And who was clearly giving me 100% (which WHOA was a big change for me and THAT scared me more than anything). So yep, you learn so many things about yourself over the years and it should lend to caution when needed but when not needed - freaking go for it.
ReplyDeleteLOVE this post. You got me right away with the Grey's Anatomy reference (I, too, have seen most episodes numerous times!) but I am right there with you. Love the quote, too!
ReplyDeleteI really fell in love with something you said--"When we get attached
ReplyDeleteto something we forget that nothing is permanent." Straight away, this sentence reminded me of a horrible time in my life when I had to deal with the loss of a long-term relationship. I was so sucked in, so attached, that I forgot--like you said--that I didn't even process the possibility that it could all be gone in an instant. And it eventually was; it still affects me to this day. I'll probably be a spinster who just knits all day and collects owl figurines, ha. But seriously, thank you for writing this.
I just watched that episode recently. =) I understand completely. Sex is such an intimate moment. I just can't see myself being that vulnerable to someone I don't have feelings for.
ReplyDeleteAlways love some Grey's Anatomy!.... I could never understand one night stands myself. I have always felt like there are just too many downsides.... one being developing attachment... Then of course their is my brother who has a tendency to impregnate one night stands...
ReplyDeleteI think you put your thoughts and feeling on this topic very well! Couldn't have handled it better myself!
I share your love for Grey's Anatomy. It is SO my comfort show as well. I loved this post. I am very guilty of this myself and it has been something that I have struggled with for a while. I'm glad that I found your blog through the Show Your Blog Love group! :)
ReplyDeleteXOXO
Marie H.
Progression By Design
It was such a great post! I think it's totally different if it's healthy and you both are loving each other equally. And you're so right-the problem is that we sometimes don't give 100% after being hurt so many times, even when someone deserves it. It can be so hard to recognize when they do after being burned so many times.
ReplyDeleteIt's such a great show, and that episode though. That quote has just stuck with me forever.
ReplyDeleteOh I know how you feel. I'm glad that line resonated with you! I forget too. When I'm at my lowest and I'm hurting I forget that I wont always feel that way. I forget that I've been hurt like that before and I got over it, so what makes this time any different? Eventually all things move forward, if they didn't we would be dead.
ReplyDeleteSuch a great episode. And you're totally right. I seriously don't know what I was thinking all those times I thought I could be detached during those moments, because I can't.
ReplyDeleteGrey's is one of my all time favorite shows. Yikes, getting pregnant by/impregnating a one night stand seems awful. You don't even know if you actually like each other, let alone having to deal with each other for 18 to life... Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI do love me some Grey's and can quote many episodes. I remember this episode and think many can relate to Lexi's sweet character. Before I was married, I was quite the opposite when it came to attachment. If I was in an intimate relationship, it almost made attachment harder than if I was in a friendship/non intimate relationship. Very weird the whole thing. I never quite understood one night stands, mostly because it was gross. But to each their own. Great post!
ReplyDeleteLove Grey's Anatomy
ReplyDeleteYes! I love this and remember this episode. Confession time - I'm actually a virgin, and I've had friends tell me I just need to sleep with someone to "get it over with." Apparently wanting to wait for someone I actually trust and care about is setting my standards too high.
ReplyDeleteI should re-assess my relationship based on this.
ReplyDeleteYep, its definitely hard/scary as hell! But when it works, its amazing! <3!
ReplyDeleteGreys is on my list of shows to watch. I absolutely love this. I think it's so important that you can identify this of yourself!
ReplyDeleteAt least you know you're not alone! And I've yet to meet someone who just instinctively understood this and didn't have to work to protect herself (or himself!)
ReplyDeleteYou can't not attach yourself to someone, emotionally, when you let yourself be that vulnerable. And despite seeing characters on TV who just up and have one-night stands, all the people I know who can do that without attachment are pretty broken (they're not whole people, and their issues go beyond being fine with meaningless sex). You're not broken, so obviously you're gonna think the way your biology has programmed you....whether you like it or not. ;)
I have no useful advice to offer. Even when I realized how I was seeking approval/validation through my vagina, the only way I kept the cycle from happening was to give up dating and fucking completely. I volunteered at a cat shelter for some affection, I invested in good vibrators, and I kept myself as busy as humanly possible with projects and crafting and whatnot. Maybe that wasn't a healthy way to go about it, but it was the only thing that worked.
I am the same way, and I thank God everyday that I met a great guy young and settled down, I could not do the single life...I am too emotional unfortunately, lol...thanks for sharing
ReplyDeleteThe single life can be tough... I apparently *can* do it, since I have forever, but blah. lol
ReplyDeleteI've been there, and I totally understand that! And you're right, it's biological... I just think it has to be pointed out to us sometimes lol.
ReplyDeleteGrey's is a good one, I've watched it so much!
ReplyDeleteI hope in a good way... :)
ReplyDeleteI think you should definitely be with someone you care about or who makes you feel very comfortable for your first time. Don't let anyone pressure you into anything otherwise.
ReplyDeleteMy only advice, don't go in thinking that the first time will be "special" or good in any way. It's not. It's painful, and awkward, and sometimes messy. It's not great. But if you don't have someone you're comfortable with or who cares about you, it makes so much worse! Plus, you ALWAYS get attached (stronger than usual) to your first, so you have to make sure they're worthy!
You just do you.
Such a great show!
ReplyDeleteLexi was such a sweetheart. *tear*
ReplyDeleteGrey's is fantastic! I'm glad you found my blog too! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!
ReplyDeleteOh, I have no illusions that it will be perfect, by any means. But I think finding the right person is still important. There's no way I won't be attached, so he has to be worthy. And if that means I'm setting the bar too high, well ... then whatever.
ReplyDeleteI don't think you're setting the bar too high at all. I think choosing someone worthy of your first time, someone who'll care about you and treat you well in what will be a huge (and mildly traumatizing lol) event in your life, is the absolute lowest you SHOULD set the bar.
ReplyDeleteTrue words, my friend!
ReplyDeleteSeriously. lol
ReplyDeleteWhile it's not a popular view for some, I strongly believe that we're wired to fall in love, and have sex with, just one person at a time, and not multiple partners. That's why we form such a strong attachment to someone when we have sex with them, and get that dopamine flowing. It's a natural biological reaction.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right, honestly.
ReplyDelete