3.11.2015

DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!

DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!

Making your own bath salts is not only inexpensive, but it's a relatively quick and easy process to do. Last Christmas, Kristina and I got together and made a ton (like 50 or more jars worth) in many different scents and colors to use as holiday gifts.  I mean we did Lime (which I called Margarita), Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Orange, Mixed Citrus, and lemon grass.  We even took the time to think about who would like which scents better and I made adorable little labels for them.  They were a huge hit! 

DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!

  • Epsom Salts
  • Sea Salt
  • Essential Oils (don't just use scented oil, it needs to be safe to put on your skin)
  • Food Coloring (optional)

Jasmine Essential Oil Handmade Bath Salts

For this tutorial I decided to go with Jasmine.  It's one of the few scents I don't use a lot, and I thought it would be lovely to have at least one floral thing in my bathroom for when the mood strikes.  Honestly, the scent I use most is Lavender for relaxation/sleep, but Jasmine is great for mood boozing (it's an "antidepressant" scent), and it's great also for relaxation and relief of sore muscles & cramps.

No, I'm not going to sell you essential oils-seriously I bought this one for $5 at a health store-there is no need to spend $30 plus on essential oils for this project.

DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!

Your ratio for the salts is going to be 1|1.  1 cup Epson salt to 1 cup sea salt.  We went to Costco and bought in bulk-I think we paid about $6 for several pounds (more than enough) of Epsom salt and $3 per large jar of Sea Salt (it took about 3 jars of Sea Salt for each bag of the Epsom salt-but was still inexpensive.) I think to make about 50-75 jars cost s around $30 in salts and oils.  The jars were another story, we picked up a bunch at the dollar store which was nice.

So a single recipe is 1 cup Epsom salt, 1 cup Sea Salt, 8-10 drops of essential oil (more or less-some scents will be stronger and some will need a few extra dashes to smell like you want them to), and about 2-3 drops of food coloring.  Doubling or tripling is easy-we did a lot of that with big batches.  Pour it all together and mix it up well.  Your house is going to smell amazing.

DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!
DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!

Here are some of the cute gifts we gave out for the holidays-they were a huge hit.  We put some ribbon on them, matched them up with some handmade sugar scrubs (recipe coming soon!), and put these cute labels on them.  The labels were just in the printer section and I used markers-they're not waterproof at all, but they worked just fine for a gift.

DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!
DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!
DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!
DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!
DIY: Make Your Own Bath Salts - Great For Handmade Gifts!

Which scent would you want to make or bathe with?


 

27 comments:

  1. Love this! I need more DIY stuff like this in my life. Ya know, stuff even I can do! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life pro-tip: Don't tell family and friends you will do free refills...I learned that the hard way with chocolate covered pretzels!

    Meg of An Affair of Character

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to show this to my 10-year-old daughter. She had a half day of school and is in my kitchen making lip gloss. She will love this idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so easy! I'll have to make some too. Perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! I can imagine! Maybe better just to teach them how to refill it themselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I wish we had a bigger tub where we can soak, I would definitely have many different types of bath salts. Thanks for sharing how simple it is to actually make them, they are the prefect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I am definitely going to have to try making this :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooohhh fun!! I love bath salts and this might end up being a great wedding favor for my wedding this winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This seems easy to make, so this would def make a great gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! Totally making this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margarita. Does it come with a mini bottle of tequila? Because I am all for a little more relaxation in the bath. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. So easy!! I'm really fond of chocolate mint at the moment. I bet it would be easy to create! THANKS! Definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha it really should, what a perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, you can pop out a bunch of them and it's not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I had a bigger tub too. But I'll take what I can get haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am hoping to go to Costco after payday and if I do I will have to buy the sea salt and the epson salt! Is it easy to mix in the food coloring and have it mix instead of turn the salts liquidy?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep, you're just putting a couple of small drops in so as long as you mix it right away it surprisingly doesn't clump too much.

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.