3.08.2015

Book Review: The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Book Review: The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle


The unicorn wants to find other unicorns. Mage Schmendrick, whose magic seldom works, never as he intendsed, rescues unicorn from Mommy Fortuna's Midnight Carnival. Only some mythical beasts displayed are illusions. Molly Grue believes in legends despite Robin Hood wannabe and his unmerry men. King Haggard and his Bull banish unicorns into sea.


I grew up with the movie The Last Unicorn, and it was one of my absolute favorites as a child.  To be honest, it's a cartoon that I can still watch as an adult and feel that old familiar love burning inside of me.  So I was unsure how I would feel about the book, because sometimes things you love in one form aren't the same in another, but when there was a deal on the audio book I had to snag it-and I'm glad I did.

The movie must have been made pretty close to identical of the book, as so many thing lines in the book came back to me word-for-word as I remember them from my childhood and provided the most enjoyable reminiscing that I have ever experienced while reading/listening to a book.  The tale was brilliantly portrayed and beautifully stated, and there was nothing (absolutely nothing), I disliked about this book.  I loved every minute of listening to Peter S. Beagle tell the tale (yes he did the audio book of his own book-and he sang!) and found myself listening to it every second I could as it flooded me with memories of my youth and a very vivid image of what was occurring.

This is a new favorite book of mine.




2 comments:

  1. The Last Unicorn! I haven't thought about that in years. I hope it's on netflix. I'm glad to hear the movie follows the book. I'm headed to the library later - definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally going to have to check that out. I heard he was doing a book tour this year-but I'm going to have to check that again too. I LOVE The Last Unicorn :)

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.