I don't know what it is lately, maybe I'm nesting, but I've been obsessed with buying things for my apartment. Maybe I'm stretching to try and make it feel more new? I have been getting the itch to move a lot lately, but I'm not quite sure I'm ready to buy and I wont be able to find anything to rent that is as good a deal as what I'm paying currently. Maybe that's it? Maybe it's that I'm finally getting over Josh moving out and trying to make the place feel more my own? Not sure. But I've been obsessed.
For Christmas my grandmother gave me a faux down blanket that is much like a duvet. I hadn't made it up to my grandmother's last holiday season so she'd give it to my mom and when I went down last weekend it finally made it's way into my custody. In the spirit of all my redecorating I quickly became obsessed with finding the perfect duvet cover for it-it's time to stretch a little and change up my bedding. I fell immediately in love with this beauty from Anthropologie:
I mean isn't it beautiful? BUT... It's like $228 for just the cover... And none of those pretty pillows are included with it. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money, even it if is a work of art you sleep with. I just don't have the kind of funds to treat myself to that expensive of a piece of fabric... This makes me die a little inside, because I'm completely smitten, but how? I just can't...
I spent the next few days completely obsessing over duvet covers. There are so many out there, but I just didn't love any of them as much as I love that one? It's too perfect. Even when I'd find something I kind of liked that was around $150 I'd think "You know... Just another $70 or so..." but no, I couldn't do it.
This sparked a new debate in my head. Am I too old for my current decor style?
My current bedroom style is BRIGHT colors. Turquoise, hot pink, rich purple, vibrant yellow... All thrown together. My rug is a bright turquoise with bits of pink and yellow threaded in, and my current comforter looks like this: (crappy old phone photos lol)
I mean I was never super into the butterflies on that comforter, but it has the sort of mandala-esque quality that makes it feel bohemian, and the colors are SO bright and lovely. It's been a good little blanket that I snagged from Target a few years ago. So based on my current style, here were a few of my initial go-to's when it came to trying to pick a runner-up duvet:
Or was it about time I started acknowledging the fact that I'm almost 30 and tone it down a bit? Should I start decorating my bedroom in a more adult fashion instead of being a wild-child teenage wannabe? Something more adult, a little simpler, and maybe Egyptian cotton?
Honestly, that last one in turquoise could have probably been perfect... But it just didn't compare to that first duvet I fell in love with. It didn't have that same feel... That wanderlust. It didn't have that art about it. I wasn't in love. But how could I love any of them as much as that first? I couldn't. All I knew is that I couldn't spend that much money on a duvet cover, but I was ready to upgrade my style a little. Make a change. Feel different. I finally settled on this beauty from UO and placed my order:
It's pretty isn't it? I mean it's not as grand as that super expensive but most beloved duvet cover I mentioned initially... But it was less expensive, and it's still beautiful. I also feel like it has so many bright colors (see all those blues and that little touch of pinkish purple? I can work that to match my current rugs and things I think...) but has enough white space and openness that it might brighten up and mature my design a little. Not enough to make me miss a little of my wild youthfulness, but enough to make me feel like I'm embracing a newer, later, age with some grace. Don't you think?
Maybe it was a silly debate to have with myself. Maybe it's a debate everyone has when they're crossing that threshold and nearing the years that are supposed to comprise their more adult and grown up time of their life. Maybe? Did anyone else start going through a must-redecorate-home-so-it-doesn't-look-like-a-college-dormitory phase before they turned 30? Or at any point in their life?
*Note* AFTER I finally broke down and ordered my second choice from Urban Outfitters, and received my shipping notice, Anthropologie popped up on my Facebook with a 25% off code. GAH! Sad day.
Tell me about your personal decor style, did it change as you aged?
Oh, and also-enter this super fun giveaway I partnered up with these awesome ladies to host at Venus Trapped in Mars!
I mean Target has some awesome stuff. Including fantastic duvet covers which I debated far too long about also.







When I moved back home after college, after an almost breakdown, I went a bit crazy with my room. My curtains were hot pink, I had inspirational decals on my walls, and my bedding screamed high school. But I made it the haven I needed it to be. I moved last August, and painted my room a dark purple (It's an attic room, with slanted ceilings that I kept white, so it's not as dark as it sounds). I've still got a lot more that I want to do with it, but it's starting to look more like a grown up room. I think your room should be what YOU want it to be. If you want to keep the bright colors, keep the bright colors. Who cares what "experts" think. They're not living there.
ReplyDeleteThat's a very valid point!
ReplyDeleteI had my bday back in Dec and I've been in that I need to redecorate phase since then too. I love the Anthropologie duvet. our giveaway is now active.
ReplyDeleteMy living room was kind of started getting pushed that way on it's own! LOL, I was looking for new couches and my grandmother gave me her set-it's a lovely minty seafoam color so they still look pretty but more adult. lol I slowly started buying things to match them! haha
ReplyDeleteThank you! $129 is a great price if it comes with a lot. The one I chose was still $150 for the duvet and the two pillow shams, but with the anthropologie one it would have been $228 for the duvet, and then each pillow as an additional $50 or something... Yikes!
ReplyDeleteYes my décor style did change with age in fact a new trend comes around I might find myself liking it as well. I would've choose the first one you posted. It is beautiful. Anthro has such beautiful things, don't they? Don't ever think you are too old for your décor style. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI'm 31 and it may be my opinion, but I don't think I'll EVER be too old for playful prints and bold, bright colors. It's all about what you like. To hell with what anyone else thinks.
ReplyDeleteOh man. That one you loved really is beautiful! I have often had the same struggle. Who on earth is trusting me to adult? I can't adult. :D
ReplyDeleteI like what you chose in the end. It's super pretty. I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do with this horrible all silky gold thing my boyfriend has for our bed. Our apartment is so boring and I haaaaate it. But at the same time, it doesn't make any sense to spend money decorating it when I know we'll buy a house next year. Blah.
Thanks love! Maybe it's just a change I'm needing. I'm starting to think about how I want certain rooms to make me feel.
ReplyDeleteVery valid point, it's my home and it should like like I want, right?
ReplyDeleteI can't adult either, how do we get out of this thing?
ReplyDeleteAlso I think maybe you find a medium ground. Only buy things you know you'll want to carry over to your decor styles at the new place. Then you get a touch of new where you are now, and something you don't have to re-buy there. :) That's the way I'm trying to think of it, because eventually I want to buy a townhouse or something.
I like these hard to pick the best one
ReplyDelete