8.23.2011

Honestly, I Went on a Date.

Yes, I did have a date last night,
and yes, it was the first date I've had in over a year.
You'd be surprised how many people seemed more excited than I was.
Was I that pathetic?
Wait, don't answer that.

Moving on...

So I met this guy online and we've been texting non stop for over a week.
Then we met for coffee and chatted there until they closed.
Then we moved over to a bar down the street and chatted over beer.

I've adopted this "no bullshit" policy.
No pretending.  No showing only the good stuff.
Basically "This is me-deal with it."

He seemed to respond well to that.
He was attractive, intelligent, and funny.
He was very respectful and responsible.
He also thought I was very cute.

Now everyone wants to know how it went but they seem unsatisfied with my answer.
It wasn't instantly electric-but it's not that I didn't like him.
It was just beautifully easy and comfortable.
Maybe that's part of me being an adult.

This calm is new for me.
I'm used to feeling something, anything, intensely.
I'm thinking this new feeling is a good thing.
Seeing as those intense feelings have gotten me into trouble before.
Shouldn't this be easy and free instead of complicated?

He's someone I could grow to care for quite a bit.
You know, love comes softly and all of that.
I really enjoyed my time with him.
I still get all grinny when he texts me.

We'll see where it goes.
As for now, we have another date for dinner Wednesday. :)

11 comments:

  1. When my husband and I started dating it was just comfortable. We were fast friends, got along really well and could talk about everything and anything. The sparks actually showed up a little later. Sometimes the best fires take a little while to light :o)
    Enjoy your second date!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I were just friends for about 6 months. Over that time, we fell in love. Sparks may still arrive. Just might need to get there by another route. Glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds promising :) Hopefully you have a great time on Wednesday, too!

    I haven't been on a date in SO long. It's almost impossible to meet a nice guy in LA :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy you deserve prince charming...however he comes across :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will attempt to keep my squeal to a muffled squeak.
    Calm is always good. Being intense all the time is a little too wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo a date! so. cant wait to hear what wednesday brings :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ken and I started out as fast friends. I think it's the best way to start a relationship, it lets you get to know and fall in love with a person. Love should be a slow long process involving time spent getting to really know eachother. Heat isn't a real connection and doesn't last. I'm so happy for you, good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I were just friends when we first met. I had no interest in him romantically whatsoever. Then one day it just clicked for both of us... I'm really glad we didn't have that awkward 1st date phase. I think the way you're handling it is awesome! I'd say just have fun, be yourself, and try not to worry about where it's heading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey- I think "beautifully easy and comfortable" is what most people secretly dream about, so don't worry that you're not giddy with excitement. I think it sounds very promising :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't even count how many happily-ever-after married friends I have that ended up with their best friend. We all know that "chemistry" is largely the thrill of the new and unknown, and that excitement ALWAYS fades (not that you have to lose it, but you can't build anything on it).

    That being said....DON'T feel like you have to only date this one guy. No matter how awesome and compatible and fun he is, you have a right to enjoy your time with him AND go on dates with whomever else catches your fancy. You're free to not choose. :)

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.