This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Diageo for SocialSpark. All opinions are 100% mine.
Who doesn't like a good bottle of rum? For mixing, for shooting, or for just sipping over some ice. Ok, so I like mine mixed or in a shot best-but everyone has different preferences. Maybe that would change if I could find a nice smooth rum to enjoy.

When Zacapa contacted me for a review slot, I was very interested to write about it. I'm a big fan of drinking responsibly and getting together for drinks with friends. Zacapa premium rum has the claim of being "heavenly rum aged well above the clouds" which intrigues me.
Their story is pretty unique too. It all began in 1976 in eastern Guatemala where the town of Zacapa celebrated its centenary and came up with this premium dark rum that is considered to be one of the best tasting! The area there is one of the best suited for growing sugar cane, and it's grown there in volcanic soil. Unlike most rums which use molasses (a by-product of the sugar making process) as their base, Zacapa uses only the concentrated first press of sugar cane, known as virgin sugar cane honey.
Then comes the ageing process, which takes place high up in the exquisitely beautiful Quetzaltenango highlands, 2,300 meters above sea level, where the cool mountain air slows the ageing process, creating a unique complexity of flavor. The House Above the Clouds is actually one of the world’s highest ageing facilities, and the process employed here, a unique Sistema Solera, is based on a process originally devised by the Spaniards 500 years ago to age sherry. It involves each drop of Zacapa rum passing through several casks that previously housed American whiskey, Oloroso sherry and Pedro Ximenez wines. So each of these large vessels imparts its own inimitable character that helps give Zacapa its distinctive taste.
I'm definitely picking up a bottle for my next social get together with my friends. I'm very interested to try it!
To join the Zacapa Society, simply register your interest at http://bit.ly/pvKdC9
No comments:
Post a Comment