10.07.2010

I Am DONE with the Mormon Church

It's funny that one of Mama Kat's writing prompts this week was "What makes you mad, and what are you going to do about it?" As I have been trying to decide how to write about this all week.  I literally thought "I'm not sure what to say yet, so I'll distract myself by checking out what the Writer's Workshop is this week."  I'm taking it as a sign that this was the only prompt that hit home for me, and that it so obviously fits the issue I've been looking for the words to convey.


I am angry.  Furious.  Livid.  Saddened.  Fired Up.  

All at the same time, I'm not really that surprised.  It's so typical.

I'm not sure how many people outside of Utah have heard of this, but it's certainly the topic of much conversation around here these days.  I know most of you have probably heard about the epidemic of suicides among gay teens who are being bullied about it.  I know Kathy Griffin and Ellen have both talked about it recently.  (Watch Ellen's video HERE, and Kathy's HERE.)  There's no doubt that this is tragic, and that something needs to be done to enlighten parents and teach them to teach their children not to hate, and not to bully other children.

What you may not have heard of (unless you're Mormon, or live in close proximity of them) is that a leader of the Mormon church spoke out recently and said some very hateful things.  (Yes, it's normal for them, they practically paid for Prop 8, but they had pretty awful and hurtful timing here... Much like the Westboro Baptists protesting at soldiers funerals.)  I couldn't find the exact speech, but here are some news articles about it:



Having grown up a Mormon in Utah (the headquarters of the LDS church/corporation) this has always been a subject that hits close to home.  I left the church at the age of 17 for my own disagreements with the way the organization was run, I have spent my life fighting the judgements and accusations of those around me.  As strange as it may sound, it is really quite difficult to be non-LDS in this state.  I have been lucky enough to have found like-minded friends, but my family still doesn't (and may never) agree with my choice to separate my religious preference from them.  Let alone sexual preference.  

I'm lucky enough to prefer the opposite sex sexually (most of the time) but I have so many friends and loved ones who battle with being gay in a state/country that hates them, and I ache for them every day.  I've heard my best friend say over and over how much he wishes he wasn't gay.  He would give anything in the world to stop hating himself, and to be able to just be a heterosexual and find a girl and settle down.  That right there, watching his pain and his hurt, tells me that this is NOT something that can be changed; because if he could change it, he would have.

Now I have many friends and family who are still LDS, and while I will always love them-I'm so tired of agreeing to disagree.  Mostly because most of them don't hold up their end of the bargain. (Some of you do, and this is not aimed at you) My dad and I fight about it all the time (though my dad likes to start fights, it's like his hobby) until my mother generally gets in and says it's enough.  I love them both so much, but I can't understand how someone who has had gay friends (he even roomed with his gay iron-worker buddy once) can look at said friend and think "yes I care about you, but I don't think you should have the same rights as me."  How hurtful is that?

It hurts me to think that we live in a society who always thinks of themselves as better than everyone else based on something as stupid as gender, race, and personal preference.  If you don't like gay sex, DON'T HAVE IT.  It doesn't affect you.

“When women got the right to vote, they did not
redefine voting… When African Americans got the right to sit at a lunch
counter alongside white people, they did not redefine eating out. They
were simply invited to the table. And that is all we want to do.”

- Cynthia Nixon

Also, while I've tried to justify my friends who are LDS and say they support Gay marraige, but my friend Effinboy has said some things this week that remind me that it can't really be justified.

"If you're of the mormon faith, and support gay marriage... Stop kidding yourself... You're either an enemy to the Mormon agenda or an enemy of liberty."

"You can't preach tolerance, and in the very next breath preach that a person's very nature is 'wrong'"

He has a point.  With both of those things.  You can't be Mormon and support gay marriage.  You can't be Mormon and say the person you believe speaks directly to God is wrong and that you're just not going to follow one part of the ten things he taught that day.  It doesn't work that way.  You're in or your out.  If you're going to preach and say you are part of a religion, BE PART OF THAT RELIGION.  You can't support both the gay cause and the anti-gay agenda.

So what am I going to do about it?

I will be requesting my name be pulled from church records.  I've put this off for 6 years.  First due to not wanting to break my fragile great grandmother's heart, and second due to the sheer lack of desire to have to put up a fight with the Missionaries and old Bishops that come calling and trying to convince me I'm making a mistake.

But I am DONE.  I'm ready for the fight, and I will tell anyone who comes preaching exactly why I am done.


15 comments:

  1. Good for you for standing up for something you feel so strongly about hooker! Im proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this. I've always wondered why being "gay" was even an issue. You can't change who you are, and discrimination against this is no better than discrimination against people of another race. It simply can't be justified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a very Liberal Canadian living in the Southern US and I've had this same argument with people of multiple Christian church congregations here... that you can't preach tolerance and not practice it... especially towards people who have no control over the things that effect them - sexual orientation, color of their skin, other appearance qualities etc, children born out of wedlock (the children themselves), immigrants etc ... but no matter how you talk/argue/plead... it goes in one ear and out the other.

    I applaud you for standing up for what you believe in and taking a stand... I wish you every good thought as you face the gauntlet you expect from those whose minds are closed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD FOR YOU! i feel the same way and get in to many arguments about this. me and my hubby dont even talk about it anymore because he knows how bad it ryles me up because i believe so much that people that are gay are still people and derserve everything that streight people do. that being said if they give you too much greif just tell them your gay and ill show up and be your signifigant other if you need me to lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have a Mormon friend who is gay, and his family made life kind of unbearable for him to the point that he just caved in, denounced the whole gay thing, and he's been on a mission for about a year and a half now (he gets back in April). It depresses me that his faith can't accept who he truly is the way his friends can. How can they not see that this isn't a choice? Who would choose to be the subject of ridicule everyday (like the boys I knew in high school)? No one, not ever.

    I can't believe some people can be so willingly blind to the facts.

    Good for you though, standing up for what you believe is right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!!!
    I appreciate you for standing up for what you believe in.

    Stopping by from Mama Kat'a.
    I am your newest follower :)

    http://dwivedi2326.blogspot.com/2010/10/frozen-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said and well written. Good for you for standing up for yourself and your friends. You are a hero...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really don't understand why being gay is such a big thing for ANY faith. It's not like being gay is new to the world - there have always been gay people and really who cares? Who cares? It isn't any of my business who someone else loves - I sure as hell wouldn't like it if someone else told me who I could love.

    This is my problem with a lot of religions in the world - their tolerance level. How do you really expect to teach it if you are against it?

    Gay people, straight people, bi people - it DOESN'T make anyone less a human than another. It's like judging people on the sex, their skin colour or what they look like - their still human, just like me.

    I admire your fight, they will keep bugging you I expect. Some people just can't see.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm opening myself up to flaming here... but here I am. I'm Mormon, a really bad Mormon, but trying to be better. Most of my family lives in Utah, although myself and my parents live here in California... which might make things different.
    Like I said, I'm a bad Mormon, which kinda makes my stance on tolerance a poor example, I have gay friends, I myself lived in a gay relationship for 2 years during my rebellious stage.
    My parents, however, are GOOD Mormons. They do every thing they should and nothing they shouldn't (anyone who knows Mormons, knows basically what that means) But expounding upon that... "anything they shouldn't" includes judging people. They see everyone as God's children and act accordingly.
    My dad owns a florist shop, where he employs several gay men who have been his friends as well as his employees for many years. His own brother was gay, and died several years ago from AIDs related complications.
    Now, my parents supported prop 8 AND kept their gay friends. How? Because everyone realized that everyone else involved was entitled to think and believe the way they wanted, and live the way they wanted, vote the way they wanted... and no one had the right to say any different.
    My dad is deeply respected by everyone he knows because he wont compromise his beliefs and doesn't expect anyone else to. Mormons (good Mormons)are known for not backing down from what they believe, no matter the opposition. But are also known for not inflicting those beliefs or tormenting others who believe differently.
    So the prophet is going to say what he believes, and the apostles too... they aren't going to change for the popular consensus.
    I used to see myself as liberal, and now I don't know what I am.
    What's the front for open-mindedness, live and let live, and freedom to believe how you believe without persecution? If anyone finds that political platform, sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you Angie, I've never understood why people think that "being gay" is so bad. There's so many other "bad" things that people could get upset over-yet, there's so much hatred aimed towards men and women just because they happen to love someone of their own sex.

    ReplyDelete
  11. " I've heard my best friend say over and over how much he wishes he wasn't gay. He would give anything in the world to stop hating himself, and to be able to just be a heterosexual and find a girl and settle down. "

    One of my best friends tried to kill himself 3 times b/c of self-hate. Another one moved 2000 miles away to get away from the hatred of his family. Thankfully they have BOTH come to accept and love themselves but it was the church that instilled the hate (not LDS, but the Baptist church)
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never bothered having my name removed from the records either, and I haven't been Mormon (in spirit) for around a decade. On paper, I'm still LDS, but in every other aspect, not at all.

    I think it's time to go ahead and send in the paperwork and jump through the hoops to make it 100% official, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can we still be friends even though I'm Mormon? LOL! This was a good post. The Mormon church is different in Utah. I know because I grew up in CA. I have just decided that I'm going to live my life for me and do what makes me happy. You know? I have my own personal beliefs on gay marriage. But I do think it's OK to disagree when it comes to this topic. Not everyone agrees with it. But what I don't like is Mormons who think they need to stand on their soap boxes and make a big deal about it. Does that make sense? I have a few gay friends and I have to tell you that I LOVE them! They are some of the kindest people I know. It's not my place to judge at all! I love everyone...gay, strait, black, white, purple! I want more people gay and straight to just accept each other. I don't like it that some gay people automatically hate me because I'm Mormon or straight. That's bad too. They are just as bad as people who automatically hate gays because they are gay. I hope this makes sense. I guess I just wanted to let everyone know that not all Mormons are judgmental jerks! I hate Mormons like that. That isn't Christ like at all! God loves ALL His children. We need to be nice to everyone. I know what it's like to want to commit suicide because you don't fit in. I feel so strongly about gay suicide prevention and also prevention because of bullying because of other issues. They go hand in hand. I want more people to just love one another and just be friends! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.