I understand more now why people love the ocean so much. Thrusting yourself into massive waves, either riding it into shore or sailing over it, can be extremely peaceful; in a very chaotic way. For the first time in my life, I swam in the ocean instead of just walking along the sand or wading. I learned how to dive under the wave before it breaks, jump to ride the rolls along the top of the water, and how to use a boogie board.
After playing with the kids and swimming with my cousin, I spent some time alone in the water. I kept walking into the sea, marveling at how a wave would form out of nowhere, and where it had seemed so calm only moments before. This time, when all you really hear is the crashing of the waves and the seagulls overhead; where all you really see is water and sand; smelling and tasting the salt; you feel engulfed in everything at once, yet nothing at all.
I spent those moments musing at how very similar it is to life... It can be so peaceful, then a massive wave can come out of nowhere and slam down from above, knocking the wind out of you. You can choose to face these swells by diving head first or riding them a while, or you can run from them and eventually be knocked over in the process. Then, if you can still enjoy the sunset at the end of a day of the break of the ocean, it's a beautiful thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment