6.29.2009

Adventures (and Injuries) at Lake Powell

My good friend Josh and I when we stopped at Hanksville on the way to Lake Powell.

This past week was spent in a houseboat at Lake Powell. I was able to ride down with Josh on Monday, and spend the week with him and his family. They'd rented a large houseboat, there were bedrooms inside but we spent our nights sleeping up on the top deck where it was cool and you had the gorgeous view of a sky full of stars.

I made him pose by the boat name. Didn't think anyone would actually believe me.

This is the back of the houseboat after we parked it.

Not only did I have a wonderful time, I met some really awesome people too! Josh's Mom Pam was so friendly and really made me feel welcome and like part of the family while I was there.
Josh and his mom sitting on the front of the Blue Duck.

Josh's step-dad Dave was also very welcoming, and I had a good time boating with him!

Dave and Josh riding in the Blue Duck.

His step-sister Stephanie was there with her husband Mike. They are so fun to hang out with and always seem enthusiastic to hang out. They really made me feel welcome and like they enjoyed having me there too.

Stephanie and Mike.

His other step-sister Jaque was there with her husband Tyler and their two kids Macy and Keaton. They are all so funny, and very intelligent. Not only were Tyler and Jaque awesome to talk to and learn things from, but their kids are scary genius too! Keaton is 2 and can talk very well, and he can count to ten already. Macy is only four, but when she talks you can mistake her for a teenager. She is very eloquent and knows some pretty big words for her age. Even when she was arguing with her dad, we all sat shocked at how smart she was.

Jaque and Tyler

Macy climbing out of the water.

Keaton. He took to calling me his friend, it was so cute!

Day one we were still stuck in the dock because the boat was not in functioning order, but on day two we were able to go and anchor it down in our own little cove where we could swim and hang out. There was even a slide on the back, as well as if you gather up enough courage, you can jump off the top deck! I actually did it! I also jumped off of some rocks that were a bit higher up, kind of like cliff jumping. It was scary, but so worth being able to have done it!

The view from the back of the boat. Pam, Mike and Stephanie swimming.

Josh swimming by the houseboat loading ramp.

Across the way from the boat was a little island. Here's Josh posing on top of the rock.

Stephanie, Jaque, Pam, Josh and Macy standing on the island.

I was also able to try tubing! We hooked up a three-man tube to the back of the little boat that Dave brough with them, and then had to hang on. It takes an amazing amount of strength to hold on as you go over the waves, and your arms feel like jello after!

Jaque, Mike and Josh riding the tubes.

Speaking of tubing, it's time to mention my injury! I took a turn riding the tube, and hung on pretty well until we stopped and Tyler helped me let go of the tube. By that time I was done, so I decided to come around and climb onto the boat. Now, not having much upper body strength normally, in addition to the gravity of pulling yourself out of the water and having jello arms, led to me slipping and falling off the boat. I landed directly on the motor and was flung back into the water. My first thought was that my leg was broken, but fortunately it was just badly bruised and bleeding a little.

My bruise on the 4th day, this is pretty much what it looks like now. It hurts a lot! I'm a gimp.

We did a lot of touring canyons on the Blue Duck. We saw the "floating crapper" (a floating restroom in Forgotten Canyon) along with Moky canyon, The Defiance House Ruins in Forgotten Canyon, Iceberg Canyon, and Slick-Rock Canyon. It was very neat!

Josh and I while touring Iceberg Canyon on the Blue Duck.

Here are some further pictures I took of the canyons! Check it out!



1 comment:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.